Best place to purchase mature rhododendron

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by marymartha, Apr 7, 2014.

1. marymartha

marymartha Member

Our Strata is looking to purchase a mature rhodo in order to fill in an existing rhodo "hedge". The local garden shops only seem to have smallish ones. Suggestions for purchase? A landscaper?
    Also what about transplanting a mature rhodo we already have to fill in the empty space? Is it generally successful to transplant them and if so can we do it now?
    Our rhodo "hedge is well over 5 feet.
    Thanks.

2. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

Not sure about how successful it will be to transplant a large rhodo but if you are looking for a big one I might suggest checking out craiglists under farm & garden. You can quite often find people moving and the house being torn down but they want to try to save the plants. Usually very reasonable pricing; you just have to either dig and remove or, if you're lucky, just remove.

3. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

4. Fine ocean parker

Fine ocean parker Active Member

I have transplanted rhododendron' s and feel they are some of the easiest. Firstly best to do it spring then perhaps fall and try to avoid summer. They are shallow rooted so nice and easy, a 5' footer should be no problem. I also agree with pmurphy lots get taken down with houses being torn down. I just keep my eyes open driving around my town and find lots people are willing to give them away or sell. If timed right the backhoe can even dig them up for you. Good luck

5. tuffytown

tuffytown Active Member

Whitney gardens in Brinnon Wa has a large variety of rhodos in all sizes. Obviously you would have to find out what it would take to get them across the border.

http://www.whitneygardens.com/

For anyone interested in relocating one I have a client who is doing a remodel and will need to remove a large one from their driveway. It might be a Loderi from the leaf size and shape. North Bend Washington.

6. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

Unfortunately you would never get it across the border without a phytosantiary certificate - Whitney Gardens might issue one but you would have to check if they do and at what cost........and I'm really not sure if these can be issued by individuals but I don't think they can.

7. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

Try Hutchinson's: http://www.hutchinsonnursery.com/ 248th St. in Langley.

At times they have quite a few 'rescue rhododendrons" looking for good homes. I know a couple of people who have done well with large plants from here.