Beginner, question on blooming time

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by gardenoflove, Apr 12, 2004.

1. gardenoflove

gardenoflove Member

I am planting the flowers i will use for my wedding and was wondering if they would be ready to be cut by August 6th (My wedding is on the 7th). This is my first real garden and I am just not sure if these will be ready in time. I will be planting them next week. The flowers I have in mind are the following: Gladiolas, Roses, Bachelor's Buttons, Baby's Breath Asters, Sweet Peas, Daisies, Zinnias. It is too expensive for me to pay a florist. Can anyone help me out?

2. David Tarrant

David Tarrant Member

Timing of home grown wedding flowers

Sorry to have taken so ong to answer this.
    I am sure you have already planted all of which you aked about.
    Gladiolus corms planted in a sunny spot will definitely bloom by Aug 6th, one small tip. Should you have spells of dry weather they do require watering about every second day.
    The annuals you mentioned Bachelors Buttons, Babies Breath, Asters, Sweet Peas and Zinnias should all be fine. However if you get very hot weather in July the Bachelors Buttons may have finished by Aug 6th.
    I am asuming the daisies you refer to are the annual Marguerite type Chrysanthemum coronarium? Which are best purchased as bedding plants form your local nursery and will bloom all summer.
    Hope this helps.