Autumn Blaze Maple 20 years old

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Leland2, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Leland2

Leland2 New Member

Good Morning. I wanted to see if I could get some advice regarding my 20 year old Autumn Blaze Maple. This spring it budded out and also had a large number of whirlybirds. It appeared that as the whirlybirds were dropping from the tree that the new leaves were not plentiful or opening up and growing very fast. As time has went on those most of those leaves have dried up and are now falling off. There are some areas, misting the top that have leaves continue to bud and grow. We have a twin tree to this is the front yard on the other side of our property that budded out, had whirlybirds as well, but is now fill with leaves as normally happens for both each year. I have been told that this tree was planted to low and the roots are now killing the tree. That makes me curious how this would take 20 years to happen. Both trees were professionally planted by same company. Also have a Red Sunset Maple on backyard planted 20 years ago from same company (that is doing well). My hope is I can try to do something to try and revive and save it. I'm willing to try something's before I just choose to let it go without a fighting chance. I have included some recent photos. Any suggested would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much. In His Service.

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good evening and welcome to the maples forum. Your answer to this problem can be seen in photo no3. It is called girdling roots.
    If you remove the bark mulch you will see that there is a large root and possibly more circling the tree trunk of large roots causing the stopping of nutrients and water etc etc being transported up the tree. It is basically a slow death by strangulation.
    Now being a 20 year old tree, it may not be able to be saved, but you do have some life at the top so all may not be lost.
    IMO you should contact a good arborist to perform surgery at the base of the tree. This will involve cutting out these girdling roots to allow nutrients and water to travel back up the tree. Hopefully the bark has not been completely girdled. For example :- broken or cut all the way around the circumference. If it has it is probably end game for this tree. If not there is a chance of survival.
    You may not see any improvement this year after surgery, but next Spring there is every chance it will come back.
    So do not give up on this lovely tree, but please do act sooner rather than later.
    Hope this is of help

3. Leland2

Leland2 New Member

Thank you,so much for your help. I really appreciate it. I will search out a arborist to perform surgery at the base. Be blessed.

Acerholic likes this.
  4. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

You are welcome, please update the forum on how you get on. I'm certain a lot will be interested.