Asparagus co-planting

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by James Arthurs, Mar 20, 2003.

1. James Arthurs

James Arthurs Member

I'm looking at planting asparagus as a food crop and an ornamental in a berm beside a pond, and want to know if it's possible to grow a perennial evergreen groundcover with it. Past experience with interplanting has resulted in weakened asparagus growth (the interplanting was with corn salad, which was flowering shortly after the asparagus emergence). Advice will be appreciated.

2. Joan

Joan Active Member

I grew asparagus for quite a few years. It takes several years to get plants growing vigourously enough to stand the drastic way we harvest. Keeping the small patch weed free and enriched with an annual top dressing of manure was key to success in my experience. I really do not see how this could be acheived along with an evergreen gound cover.

Fresh asparagus, picked and cooked within hours, is quite a delicacy. It bears little ressemblance to the vegetable transported thousands of kilometres to our supermarkets, and possibly weeks old by the time we get to cook it..