Asiatic Lilies

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by codyb89, Apr 7, 2008.

1. codyb89

codyb89 Active Member

Hello, my name is cody and i was planning to buy some asiatic lilies. I live in Texas, and its been pretty hot here and i know that the lilies are perennials. Really my question is will the lilies be fine in the hot hot weather and would they be better off in a big pot or in the ground? Thnx

2. bullseye

bullseye Active Member

3. plantenthusiast

plantenthusiast Active Member

Codyb89,

Asiatic lilies should do okay for you, many cultivars can be grown up to zone 9. I haven't had experience growing in such a hot climate, so I can not say for certain.

If you are buying from a local nursery, then check the package & inquire with staff. If you plant to buy them via mail order, then check the hardiness listing for the specific variety. If you search on Google, I am sure that you'll find others have grown lilies successfully in Texas.

Lilies generally like to be planted in a well drained site, but should be watered regularly during the growing season in a hot climate. They are also good for pot culture, but here is what you have to keep in mind:

Lilies like their face in the sun, and feet in the shade.

This means that they prefer to have exposure to full or at least partial sun, but like to have the roots shaded, either by shallow rooted companion plants, by companion plants that are shorter, and planted in front of the lilies (ex: in a border garden) or by some other means.

Best of luck to you & happy growing!