Ash dieback in the UK

Discussion in 'Plants: In the News' started by Acerholic, Oct 2, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Ash dieback is an increasing problem every year, but 2020 has shown to be the worst year for estates across the UK.
    This article by the BBC shows how the National Trust is trying to cope.
    BBC News - National Trust suffers 'worst year' for ash dieback
    National Trust's 'worst year' for ash dieback
    If the climate continues to change in regards to very dry Springs, then landscapes as we know them will be decimated.

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

I've noticed it a lot this year.

3. Acerholic

@Michael F good evening Michael, sadly so have I and I think we are going to see a lot more.

4. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

"Ash dieback is an increasing problem every year"

Such a tragedy. Maybe resistant cultivars can be developed as have been with the American Elm. It takes years though to replace a grand old tree.

Here where I live on Vancouver Island, we have witnessed severe losses of 3 iconic trees - Cornus nuttallii (Western Dogwood) due to Anthracnose, Thuja plicata (Red Cedar) mainly due to lack of summer water and Arbutus menziesii caused by several fungal diseases. I'd love to think some would develop resistance at least.

I have watched with dismay how the Arbutus on the property below my place has gone from being an exceptional specimen only 2 years ago to this dying skeleton. Problems began after the homeowner cut off a huge branch on the left-hand side of the tree. Most Arbutus I keep an eye on, decline over many, many years so it's shocking how this beauty has been brought low so quickly.

upload_2020-10-2_19-4-13.png

Attached Files:

5. Acerholic

@Margot, I hear the tree surgeon chain saws all to often these days near me of yet another grand old tree being felled. An Ash in a paddock just a hundred yards from me has sucombed this Summer and will be the next. Tbh I haven't seen so many being taken down since the days of the Dutch Elm disease in the UK that devastated these beautiful trees.
    What we are all starting to witness in nature is extremely worrying !!
    What a wonderful old tree of your neighbours that will be the next victim of the wood pile..
    And now they want wood burning stoves to be banned to stop pollution!!! In the UK that is. But that's another topic for another day.

6. Michael F

I'm all in favour of that! Any sort of smoke makes me ill. I particularly hate having to shut all the windows on hot summer days because some ***** has lit up a barbecue and is stinking the neighbourhood out :-(

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
  7. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Let me guess - ***** - 'moron'? Seriously though, a well-tended propane or briquette barbecue should not produce enough smoke to warrant prohibition. An outdoor fire that smolders for hours is a different story.

The issue of wood-burning stoves is very contentious. Because my area is rural (~75 people per square kilometer), wood-burning stoves are permitted and many people depend on the energy savings they provide. Outdoor burning likewise is okay with certain guidelines.

A friend of mine in a more densely populated neighbourhood is actively campaigning to have outdoor burning banned because inconsiderate neighbours routinely burn garbage outside in the evenings, forcing her to shut doors and windows even in summer. Much as I enjoy the opportunity to heat our house with wood and burn outside once or twice a year, I can understand her point of view. It is only a matter of time until the laws change.

8. Michael F

Any expletive you like!

Around here they often seem to use old car tyres or something like that for their barbecues - really foul chemical stinks.

9. Acerholic

Good morning Michael, these people have no thoughts about the environment and how on earth are they ever going to have any consideration to flora and fauna.
    BTW council's have environmental health departments that can slap an order on these types. And if the smoke goes over a road there is an offence under the highways act. The traffic police will issue FP ticket or a summons in this case. Has the desired effect btw.

10. Acerholic

@Michael F good evening Michael, this just dropped into my in box from my local council (9th October2020). Thought you might be interested.
    Campaign to reduce wood burning and improve our air

We are teaming up with three nearby local authorities to give residents in the area information and advice on household burning, with the aim of cleaning up our air, thereby improving our health. Read more

This week the Council also marked #CleanAirDay by sharing a video of tips on how you can improve air quality during the pandemic.

[​IMG]

11. Michael F

Interesting one, thanks!