Arbutus Unedo Companion Plants

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Evergreentree, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Evergreentree

Evergreentree Member

I'll be using Arbutus Unedo Compacta spaced ~4 feet apart for some privacy along a fence. I'm just not sure what to plan beneath and in between them. Considering evergreen varieties of blueberry and lavender (for the shrubby components), and I have no clue what to use for perennial flowers. I like the idea of year round interest, and non-toxic for dogs/kids.

Thoughts? Thanks!

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Agreed with the choice of Vaccinium ovatum -- similar texture to the leaves, but entirely different fruit. Try to get the cultivar 'Thunderbird', selected here at UBC. As for perennials, there is a lot of choice there... what are you looking for colour-wise / height-wise / light-wise, etc.

3. Evergreentree

Evergreentree Member

Thanks - it will be full sun southern exposure, along a 3ft fence. So something 2ft or taller would be ideal. Now looking at Southern Comfort Coral Bells for winter color.

4. Delvi83

Delvi83 Active Member

Rosemary (creeping cultivar), Heather plants, Lavender...

So you'll have flowers in Spring (Rosemary), in Summer (Lavender), in Autumn-Winter (A. unedo & Heather)

5. ersh99

ersh99 Active Member

liriope muscari 'big blue' - evergreen grasslike mounds, purple flowers, super easy care plant and looks great massed under trees.

Daniel Mosquin likes this.