AP Cultivars for the Southeastern US

Discussion in 'Maples' started by bamboonut, Jan 8, 2004.

1. bamboonut

bamboonut Member

Hi everyone,

I am a private collector of bamboos and have recently been bitten by the japanese Maple bug as well. I just acquired a fairly large 2" caliper 'Hogyoku' and a 1.5" caliper 'Osakazuki', my first maples of hopefuly many more to come. I am very excited about these new "kids" and I would like to make sure I am not making a mistake in selecting a planting site. A local nursery owner told me both of these could handle a full sun position, which would also be my first choice in my particular case as they could be easily viewed from almost everywhere on the property.

If this is not a good idea it wouldn't be a problem to find a partialy shaded site. (It would just be a less dramatic effect.) Or, if they would just have to be shaded for the first couple of years - that could be done too. OR, If there are cultivars that would be more ideal for such strong sun exposure in this area - I would love to hear about them.

Thanks to all for taking the time,

William
    Atlanta, Zone 7b

PS: If anyone is interested in trading maples for rare bamboo's feel free to get in touch with me...

2. Elmore

Elmore Active Member 10 Years

I am not real familliar with 'Hogyoku' but from what I read it should be fine. 'Osakazuki' will take full sun also. I think that many Japanese Maples do better once they are established. I think that you might experience some leaf burn on a newly planted tree, espeacially a smaller one. If you have some leaf burn after 2 to 3 years planted in a site you can easily move them to a site that gets some shade in the hot afternoon, like say... my yard. lol. I am not all that far from you if you need that added shade for your trees. Elmore

3. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

LOL at Ellmore

4. bamboonut

bamboonut Member

He he he, well, looks like I will be getting that extra shade after all, SINCE I AM FORCED TO PLANT A 70 FOOT PRIVACY FENCE OF 'BOO TO KEEP OUT ALL THESE RAMPAGEING ALABAMA MAPLE GROWERS!

Ok, seriously, thanks for the thumbs up, Elmore. It's great to get advice from someone who lives in the same region and has similar growing conditions...

Take care,
    William

5. Elmore

Elmore Active Member 10 Years

Bamboo

Like Bamboo, you can run but you cannot hide.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2004
  6. Dale B.

Dale B. Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Hi William,

The two cultivars that you picked should do well in full sun after they are established. They may experience leaf burn until the roots catch up, but just keep them watered during dry periods. I would wrap the trunks for the first year or two to keep the trunks from sun burning.

I am a Japanese Maple nut with interest in bamboo and live in the Atlanta area. I have several hundred cultivars and graft several hundred maples a year. I have sent you an email with my number. Let me know if you would like to trade plant material or just talk maples or bamboo.

Thanks,
    Dale