Identification: Another Plant Identification!?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by seanfear, Oct 15, 2007.

1. seanfear

seanfear Member

Hello there!

well, I'm new to this. Unfortunately I bought some new plants for my room and they didn't provide a tag or something with it for identification so I thought of coming here.

I have here 2 plants. The first 3 pictures (1,2,3.jpg) has a red flower as you'll see in the pictures. The other one (11,22.jpg) is a hanged plant and has no flowers. As for the second one I thought it is vine for the shape of the leaves but I don't know if I'm correct anyway!

Hope I didn't upload much pictures!

Thanks for your help!
    TJ

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      88 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      81 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      76 KB
      Views:
    • 11.JPG
      11.JPG
      File size:
      99.4 KB
      Views:
    • 22.JPG
      22.JPG
      File size:
      51.7 KB
      Views:
  2. smivies

smivies Active Member

Looks like you have a Lipstick plant (Aeschynanthus radicans) & an English Ivy (Hedera helix) cultivar, perhaps 'Glacier'?

3. seanfear

seanfear Member

Thanks smivies! I will google it around and see if it is as you said for sure ! :)

4. seanfear

seanfear Member

Done that!

well from the pictures I saw in google and some articles, I think it is as you said! :) thanks! :)

by the way, is there a way to start identifying the plant starting from its leaves?

5. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

With an estimated 500,000 tropical plants around the world (some sources say 2,000,000) the only good way to learn what you are growing is read. A lot! But a place just like this is a great place to learn. If you read a lot of threads you'll learn about all sorts of plants.

Some plants have leaves that can give you a descent idea what you are growing just from a glance, but others are so variable only a trained botanist can be certain. And even those people aren't always sure!

6. smivies

smivies Active Member

The more exposure you have to different identified species, you will find it helps to identify things you don't know by narrowing down your search. Plant structures (leaves, flowers, stems, growth habits, etc.) will be similar within a genus, narrowing your search. Sometimes it will even help identify another species in another genus under the same family.

Once you factor in provenance (for native plants), habitat, and climate, that can further narrow it down.

Your two plants are fairly easy because they are common indoor plants (& English Ivy is also a common outdoor vine in temperate climates).

Tropical plants will always be the hardest because of the sheer number of species in countless genera, & many families.

7. martinpribble

martinpribble Active Member

last two look like verigated ivy?

8. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yep, last two are definitely a cultivar of Common Ivy Hedera helix.