aloe vera wants to have babies

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by monica, Feb 13, 2006.

1. monica

monica Member

hi - my name is robyne and i would like to know how to start new plants from my old,yet beautiful, plant.

2. S.S

S.S Member

Aloes that sucker tend to do so best when root bound in pots. This is a general rule I have found with most succulents. If your plant is inground you may need to cut the top off to force it to grow new pups if you don't want to wait for it to happen naturally. If you decide to take the plunge and cut the top then strip the bottom leaves, allow it to dry for a couple of days then replant and it will grow on.
    If it is Aloe vera that you have though it should be suckering quiet freely as it is one that does so quiet happily from a very young age. Watering when growing through warmer months and a small amount of slow releasefertiliser every 6 months encourages good growth and will probably aid reproduction. Remove suckers when they have some root on for best results.
    Unless you have two plants with different parents there is no point trying to pollinate flowers. Aloes DO NOT self-pollinate but do cross quiet freely! If you do get seed plant fresh into sandy mix lightly covered with soil in a shady area. Keep wet until germinated then moist until big enough to transplant.

3. monica

monica Member

climber-thanx for your reply,however, I am still a bit confused. I can take the bottom leaves off, let them alone for a few days and then replant them? no roots needed? please advise asap. Thanking you in advance.

4. oscar

oscar Active Member

nope, no roots needed, insert your offsets into a standard cactus compost.

5. monica

monica Member

thanks for the info oscar! monica

6. ogcujo

ogcujo Member

Yeah he's right. I never read about it, it was an experiment (by accident), for me. I took an aloe out of the ground and wanted to pot it, but the root was huge, and way bigger than my pot. So I cut off her top, and planted the root, pulled off some of the top's bottom leaves, and crossed my fingers (expecting both to die). To my surprise, the root is now growing like 4 babies, and the top acted like nothing ever happened to it, it grew and now has a stem with flowers growing out of it.