Air-Layer Article - Opinions

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by top_cat, Feb 19, 2007.

1. top_cat

top_cat Member

Hello all,

I'm writing an article for our club newsletter but I was wondering if anyone here would be able to give me some feedback and let me know if I have covered everything a beginner would need.

Any feedback or suggestions welcome.

Thanks

2. GRSJr

GRSJr Active Member 10 Years

Hopefully what you presented is a draft. It's full of gramatical errors. For example in the first sentence, " is one technique for which can be used " may be ok in Sanscrit, but it's not English.

The article is full of "technical" terms, many in Japanese, that do not add to the readers understanding of the process of air layering. I' get rid of them and stick to the subject itself. Example: "Traditionally a knife Kawasumi and Kawasumi (2006) reported that a more natural looking nebari can be created by scraping the bark creating a ragged edge rather than slicing". Why not just scraping the bark to form a ragged edge is also used? Who knows what a "nebari" is and, what's more, who cares.

My suggestion is to rewrite the article in plain English without grammatical errors. You say this is aimed at a beginner. So get rid of the jargon.

3. riptidefrog

riptidefrog Active Member

Top Cat
    Thanks for the info. I think that what is important about your contribution is the meaning and not really the details. Determining the methods and rationale contained in the post is not difficult to gather out of context and only a few things, like a japanese term or two are unclear. It remains a very helpful and nice contribution. I appreciate it. Thanks

4. luciley

luciley Member

Hi Top Cat, today a fellow asked me about stooling and I suggested air-layering instead and sent him this link--so helpful. I hope he can see it if he is not a member.

5. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

This part may introduce a question.

What do you mean by "root" regarding the problematic to root? Did you mean germinating seeds and later transplanting, or trying to get stem cuttings to grow roots like in a greenhouse?

From reading, it seems like you mean cuttings though.