Identification: Aeonium and something else

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by benci, Jan 20, 2010.

1. benci

benci Member

Hi!

I've had this Aeonium plant for a year now but I just got so excited about the exact species that I have to study a lot for an exam tomorrow... The rosette's diameter is about 20 cm.

And the other little cutting has leaves of 5 cm and is from Morocco (and maybe is a shrub or little tree but not sure).

Thank you (and sorry if it's something really evident but I couldn't browse the internet for a long time now)

Attached Files:

2. Rosemarie

Rosemarie Active Member

The first looks like Aeonium arboreum to me & the second a type of Carpobrotus. You would need flowers for each to help get a better ID.

3. benci

benci Member

Thank you for the reply.

The second plant looks exactly like a Carpobrotus but the person I got it from told me that its habit is more Jade-like with woody stems, growing vertically too, like a little tree. Maybe I can get a photo of the original plant.
    Do you think that a Carpobrotus can grow that way as well?

And in the meanwhile I found out that my Aeonium might be A. arboreum var. rubrolineatum because it gets dark red lines on its leaves when it's exposed to sun.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2010
  4. Rosemarie

Rosemarie Active Member

Your 2nd plant looks to me like one side is flat. It's growth habit makes me think Carpobrotus, but if you were told (or know) that it can grow a trunk, then perhaps it is something else, like a Tylecodon, but the leaves don't match to any Tylecodon I know. Carpobrotus are more of a trailing plant, lying on the ground...but the old ones can look woody. I wouldn't call it a "trunk" though. To me, your plant (2nd one) looks very much like it belongs in the Mesembryanthemaceae family.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2010