Acer tataricum Cultivars

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Worldly_Wrangler, Dec 10, 2021.

1. Worldly_Wrangler

Worldly_Wrangler Active Member

I am looking for a medium sized Acer for a full sun spot in my garden. I noticed many nurseries close to me are selling Acer tataricum cultivars.

Does anyone have experience with this species or it’s cultivars? Any recommendations? Any issues to be aware of?

I’m looking at these cultivars because they are readily available in my area:

- Acer tataricum ‘GarAnn’ Hot Wings
    - Acer tataricum 'JFS-KW2' Rugged Charm
    - Acer tataricum ssp. ginnala 'Betzam' Beethoven

Thanks!

2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I have never grown Acer tataricum of any sort but, after looking at photos on the websites you listed, I wish I could! They're not only beautiful but also adaptable to a variety of growing conditions.

Like the other 2 cultivars you are considering, I noticed that Acer tataricum ‘GarAnn’ Hot Wings is said on several sites to be somewhat drought tolerant but one site -- Acer tataricum Hot Wings® ('GarAnn') (PP15023) from NVK Nurseries -- says that "Best growth occurs in areas with cool, summer climates." It also mention a possibility of suckering and how to handle that if it does.

Wish I could be of more help.

Worldly_Wrangler likes this.
  3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

4. Worldly_Wrangler

I’ve read a lot of mixed things about this species. Seems to be invasive in some areas, but darned if those red samaras don’t look amazing. It’s either this or a large Acer palmatum like ‘Omato’.

5. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

It certainly is invasive here in Normandie, so it could well be in WA.

I don't know the others, but "Hot Wings" is quite popular and I've seen it. Have to say, not very impressed. Many seedlings have bright red samaras, as good as "hot wings" afaict.

I also wonder about how many of these are grafted or rooted. 'Flame' and 'Fire' are "seed strains", even though they're sold as cultivars. We have a 'Flame' that has really terrible autumn color, a muddy yellow on a good year.

6. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

There is a 'Hot Wings' tree planted by the Park Board on my boulevard in the spring of 2020. I mentioned in a posting that there were lots of tiny red samaras, around 5mm, but they didn't seem to grow to any size where they would be noticeable. I took this photo 10 days after mentioning the small size. And then I forgot about them, because I never noticed them. I guess I should check if the tree is still there - it didn't attract my attention this year at all. I remember when I took this photo in June 2020 that all the samaras were up high. The habit is quite upright.
    AcerHotWings_1700-blkPendrell_Cutler_20200617_201405.jpg

7. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Within this context Hot Wings is a registered trademark. With the involved tree - a patented invention - being called 'GarAnn'. And stock of which I have seen presented to the market here in western Washington State with not particularly hot wings, as far as it goes.

Worldly_Wrangler and wcutler like this.
  8. Worldly_Wrangler

Thanks for all of the feedback. I am gathering that these aren't terribly exciting trees, with the majority of interest being the red samara coloration, which is hit or miss. I'll most likely pass on this species and find another medium sized species and cultivar.