Acer pseudosieboldianum ssp. takesimense

Discussion in 'Maple Photo Gallery' started by Laurie, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Laurie

Laurie Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Acer pseudosieboldianum ssp. takesimense - private collection (seed grown).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2005
    Soumil Yarlagadda likes this.
  2. Laurie

Laurie Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Acer pseudosieboldianum ssp. takesimense - Washington Park Arboretum, Seattle, accession 1982. First two photographs taken October 2002, the last two October 2005.

Attached Files:

Soumil Yarlagadda likes this.
  3. kaydye

kaydye Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Has anyone grown this successfully in zone 5?

4. marcindy

marcindy Member

I bought a small one last year and planted it in my yard. The last time I checked (mid January) it looked fine, as much as you can tell in mid-winter... :-) I am hoping it will make it, it was beautiful last year, even though it had only been in the ground less than a year.

5. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Very lovely! I have A. pseudosieboldianum, but I don't think its the sub-species. Where did you get your seeds, if I might ask?

6. marcindy

marcindy Member

I bought it on ebay, it was grafted, which I thought was a little strange... It is about 2' tall now.

7. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

Marcindy,

Pretty sure takesimense is usually grated on palmatum.

8. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

ssp pseudosieboldianum is commonly sold grafted as well. I had a small one that was grafted onto palmatum but it didn't survive. I kind of consider it a poster child for bad practices: grafting a stronger species onto a weaker but easier to obtain one. I don't think pseudosieboldianum is as disease prone as palmatum. I'm currently growing a very robust Korean Maple from wild collected seed, it's very healthy and trouble free.

-E

9. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

I would really love to have some seed from this species and grow some on myself. Does UBC have this species in their collection?? Did anyone collect seed from one this year?? If its a stonger species, I would very much like to experiment with it as understock. Also, can you point me to any literature about its superior disease resistance?

Thanks!

10. marcindy

marcindy Member

I thought it was absurd that a ssp was grafted in the first place. I think I will let it grow for another year or two and than attempt to airlayer it. I definitely want it on it's own roots.

11. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Westonbirt, autumn 2010.

pt1.jpg pt2.jpg pt3.jpg

12. marcindy

marcindy Member

Well, I think I can answer one of the questions from earlier in this thread. I am in zone 5 and my takesimense maple did not survive it's first winter. Despite protection from the winds and lots of insulating snow it did not survive it. I don't think their hardiness is much below zone 6 at the most.

13. zonebreaker

zonebreaker Active Member

I must disegree, If it´s on own root it has no problem surviving in northern sweden aprox your zone 3-4. Many of us in norther sweden have this specimen in our gardens for several years.
    edit/ not takesimense ,just pseudoaiboldianum.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  14. marcindy

marcindy Member

Hello zonebreaker, you made a great point, when on their own roots they seem to be much hardier. Mine was grafted, not sure on what though. I think that was the reason mine died in its first winter. Your post gives me hope to try another one, though it will be on its own roots. Thanks for posting your observations.
    M.

15. simongrant

simongrant Active Member Maple Society

Does anyone have seed from Acer takesimense. I live in Australia and can't obtain it as a plant. I am happy to pay, swap or whatever.

16. simongrant

Following my request on the 5th Nov, a kind reader sent 6 Acer pseudopsieboldianum ssp takesimense to me. I prepared them as usual, soaking them for 2 days and stratifying them in damp spagnum moss in the fridge. After one month I decided to see if I could accelerate germination of 2 by removing the pericarps and exposing the embryos. This proved harder than any other maple seed I have tried. The outer pericarp was easily split by gentle pressure with pliers, the middle layer was extremely tough and took quite some effort. The soft inner capsule cracked in the process but despite that and perhaps because of it, the 2 embryos rapidly germinated. Over the next 8 days I extracted the other seed. One had 2 embryos so 7 seedlings germinated though one was lost at the cotyledon stage possibly from fungus. The remaining 6 have established well. There appears to be 2 leaf forms,? hybridisation from another species near the source plant or natural variation. I have attached some pictures for your interest. I suspect in this species germination delay is a result of the hard capsule rather than other factors evident in different species.

Attached Files:

17. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Thanks much for this, your technique is very interesting.

Do you always sow the seed on the surface, or bury it just a little?

I do suspect some hybridization, too.

-E

18. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

19. simongrant

Thanks Gomero for the interesting reference. After trialling many different species I think there are several different processes. As indicated for Acer pseudosieboldianum ssp takesimense, I think the tough middle capsule may be enough to delay germination till it softens. For most early excision doesn't work as I think some chemical changes have to occur at cool temperatures so I give all a period of cold stratification. For many I think germination inhibitors especially around the immature root may be important as they only seem to germinate even when excised if the root is "misted" with water for a time eg Acer nikoense. All seem to germinate quicker if the root especially is exposed.
    Emery, I plant un-excised seed buried a little but with excised I leave them on the surface so the root can be gently sprayed with a mist ? to wash away inhibitors. The pots are kept in re-sealable plastic bags to keep humidity high in gentle light (see picture). The one flaw of the technique is that some seed lose direction and the roots may need re-directing down. This may happen naturally also and seedlings just get lost. With the technique it doesn't seem to have any long lasting affect

Attached Files:

20. simongrant

Found 2 good specimens of A pseudosieboldianum ssp takesimense during a visit to the Arnold Arboretum Boston, both seedling grown and about 25 yrs old. I've attached pictures taken in early June.

Attached Files:

21. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

This one I think was given to me by E-. A beautiful little tree.

The pot was too small, yet the leaves are green, have no brown spots and don't shrivel.

Yet, I slip-potted it because I will put it in a more sunny place, except for the lower part, the pot.

I just added 50% pozzolane (5-7 mm) and planting soil + a handful of fertilizer (you kow the 6-3-12 + 4Ca + bacillus thing for tomatoes) :

March 22nd, 2019 :

acer-pseudosieb-tak_190422a.jpg

Today, August 5th, 2020 :

acer-pseudosieb-tak_200805a.jpg acer-pseudosieb-tak_200805b.jpg

PS : you will notice the colour of the "lawn"... ^...^

emery and LoverOfMaples like this.
  22. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

My 'Takeshimense' today

Attached Files:

Acerholic and AlainK like this.
  23. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

I have two other seedlings of 'Takesimense', small 2-year ones, but when they're established, they're thriving.

The one I repotted last year already needs a larger pot.

24. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Update: Wow, talk about fast grower. This thing has tripled in growth this year.

Attached Files:

25. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years