Acer palmatum 'Reticulatum'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Acerholic, Jun 5, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Here are photos of my Acer palmatum 'Reticulatum' through the seasons. I keep mine in morning sun and afternoon shade.
    It is next to Skeeters broom and Amber ghost, so there is a lovely contrast of colours.
    It is surprisingly hardy compared to other reticulated varieties and I would definitely reccomend it for a shady area.
    I've attached Spring leafing out, Summer full green and an Autumn photo that looks lovely next to the vibrant reds.

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

Acer palmatum 'Reticulatum ' is a match for any of the reticulated varieties.
    It starts in Spring with a bright fresh green and as Summer progresses as it changes to the colours you see in my photo, taken on the 10th July 2020.
    Planted like most of my collection in morning sun (4hours) and afternoon shade.

This maple will not disappoint if it has the right placing. It is not one that does too well in a lot of sun.

Attached Files:

3. Acerholic

I tried to get as close as possible with the camera I have and hopefully I have picked out the reticulation. Little raindrops always helps to give proportion IMO.
    Photo 26th July 2020.

Attached Files:

4. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

5. Acerholic

@LoverOfMaples, good morning D. Mine are very similar indeed, but my Reticulatum has lighter tones than the leaf on my Shigitatsu sawa and has a stronger growing habit. I've attached the two for comparison. Photo 3 has Shigitatsu Sawa in the foreground. It is a very subtle difference and I totally agree with your observation. Too similar to chose between the two.
    But it's funny, we have friends who have identical twins and as parents they can tell the difference straight away. Perhaps that's what I'm seeing and there really is no difference Lol

Good spot D.

Attached Files:

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  6. LoverOfMaples

Morning D. Yeah, I was just randomly looking online at nurseries inventory list and came across it. I roam thru a good bit of sites and this was the first I've seen it.

You know with my addiction. I think i wouldn't mind evaluating them both myself. Lol

7. Acerholic

@LoverOfMaples, Not a bad idea D, recommendationson on these forums are one thing, but there is nothing better than evaluating yourself IMO.
    We have all seen the variations in a cultivar from one part of a country to another or continents etc and how about rootstocks used !!!?? But nomenclature, now that is quite annoying and one maple can have several different names that is exploited by producers.

All fascinating stuff D, that's why we love these trees!!!!

8. Acerholic

This is the 10th August 2020 and still in the heatwave. This is my continuing diary of my maples throughout the Summer as requested.
    Doing OK for a reticulated variety, these can and do suffer in the heat.

Attached Files:

9. LoverOfMaples

Looking good D. Can't wait to see the fall colors!

10. Acerholic

@LoverOfMaples, thanks D, just hoping the heat doesn't make it shrivel and lose its leaves before hand.

11. Acerholic

12th August 2020 still very hot and in fact yesterday was the hottest I've ever seen in my garden. Ground temperature hit 48° C by my trees.
    They are all now suffering. But I will continue the Summer diary as requested.
    Still OK, so might get through this heatwave. Fingers crossed!!

Attached Files:

12. Acerholic

19th August 2020, lashings of rain for last 3 days, everything is picking up, so a good Autumn display is still on the cards.
    Such lovely subtle changes now appearing on my Reticulatum, almost a metallic sheen now showing.

Attached Files:

13. Acerholic

30th August 2020 and it is definitely getting colder. My maples are very happy now that the Summer heat has passed. They are all enjoying the early morning sun.
    Took this close up photo for A @sun for a comparison with the neighbours unknown tree.
    The tips are showing signs of end of season wear now, but not too bad.

Attached Files:

14. Acerholic

7th September 2020 and in Southern England it is getting warmer once again. So surprised to see my maples with such dry leaves this morning. But this year is so very different for so many reasons!!?
    Three weeks on and my Reticulatum is going to give a good show, as its is now in transituon phase with little to no Summer damage.

Attached Files:

15. Acerholic

14th September 2020 and although it is going to be hot later, a lovely early morning dew was on my maples.
    Reticulatum showing wonderful early Autumn colours beneath the dew.

Attached Files:

16. Acerholic

17th September 2020 and the colours are making a big appearance now. Reticulatum as others has new growth and leaves just turning.

Attached Files:

17. Acerholic

29th September 2020 and Reticulatum is holding off going into Autumn as long as it can. Looking at tbe weather it might hold off very late this year !!?

Attached Files:

18. Acerholic

October 6th 2020 and very wet, but with early morning sunshine it is making my maples look rather pretty IMO. My Reticulatum is holding on longer than most to it's Summer greens, so as it's Autumn I thought I should show this.

Attached Files:

19. Acerholic

16th October 2020 and I wanted to show how the reticulation dissapears during the transition phase on this cultivar.

Attached Files:

20. Acerholic

18th October 2020 and this is what I expected from my Reticulatum. It's not all about reds !!!

Attached Files:

21. LoverOfMaples

22. Acerholic

23. Acerholic

18th April 2021 and I thought I would do my first posting of the year for my Reticulatum, to show that it is a late to leaf out variety, in my garden at least.
    But if you are passionate about maples as I am, then anytime of the year is special.
    Reticulatum 195.JPG

24. Acerholic

11th May 2021 and my Reticulatum is now open and looking quite nice IMO.
    Reticulatum 222.JPG

25. Acerholic

19th May 2021 and now my Reticulatum is showing itself in all it's glory.
    Reticulatum 231.JPG Reticulatum 232.JPG

D97x7 and LoverOfMaples like this.