Acer palmatum 'Red Feather'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by mendocinomaples, Aug 15, 2005.

1. mendocinomaples

mendocinomaples Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Acer palmatum 'Rila's Red'

Nice finely cut red dissectum. Seems to hold up better to the heat than Red Filigree Lace. This photo was taken in August. Past two weeks have been in the low 90's. (I know cool to some of you out there...but that is hot for this maple).

Attached Files:

2. redwingmaple

redwingmaple Member

Re: A. palmatum Rila's Red

Sometimes the oddest things happen. I had seen this maple for sale online, but no picture. Did a web search, still no pictures. And today my search ends. Looks like another one to add to the "need it" list. Thanks for the photo.
    Shannon

3. mjh1676

mjh1676 Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Re: Acer palmatum 'Rila's Red'

Fall color photos: 11/10/05

This plant seems to have a little more red than Beni kumo-no-su throughout the growing season. I suspect is is very similar to Red Filigree Lace and Ruby Lace, but I do not have those to compare side-by-side.

MJH

Attached Files:

4. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

My label said "Rilas Red," but who knows what the real name is. Anyway, this photo was taken July 11, 2007, and hopefully it shows the wonderful summer colors of this plant. It's a difficult subject to photograph because the lobes are just tiny thin filaments, so it takes a steady hand with the camera, no breeze and a bit of luck. My tree is a tiny thing. I've had it for 4 years and while it's growing, it's doing so at a snail's pace.

Attached Files:

5. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

That's a pretty tree! Do you think that it is related to the Red Filigree and Red Spiderweb and Red Feather type varieties? It looks pretty similar to my newly-received Red Filigree lace--only it's leaves are about 4 inches long! They are huge. How big are your Rila's Red Leaves, mapledia?

David

6. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

Nice pic Mapledia.

Those leaves are beautifully cut.

7. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

Poetry to Burn,
    Thanks. I appreciate your comment. These itty-bitty lobes are really hard to photograph without having them look like lint. I will admit that I have a very hard time telling the difference between the extremely fine red dissectums. Clearly their difference are too subtle for me to grasp.

8. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

NJACER helpfully provided some information that 'Red Feather' is the correct name for this cultivar:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  9. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

here are photos of both Red Feathers and Red Filigee lace. If I lost the tag, I would not be able to tell the difference. maybe in summer or fall I will find the difference. The photos are labeled as to the trees name.

Attached Files:

10. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

Hi Charlie,

Do you keep your Red Filigree as well as Red Feathers in the shade or out in the full sun?. I had a Red Fil. a few yrs ago growing in a pot on my deck and recently just acquired a 2.5' tall Red Fea.
    I now plan to put them in the ground but my garden received full afternoon sun, will they survive?. Or I need to find a shady location for them.

Thanks, Steven

11. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

This one is so difficult to photograph as it is so delicate, so please excuse my hand behind. Placed by a light coloured rock or stones would suit this cultivar.

Attached Files:

Jaybee63 likes this.
  12. Acerholic

Well into Sumner now 24th July 2020 and my Red feather is showing the most beautiful scarlet reds. Even better after the rain last night.

Attached Files:

Jaybee63 likes this.
  13. Acerholic

1st August 2020, has the extreme heat affected this maple !!? No, not at all !!! Still making lovely new growth in my garden.

Attached Files:

14. Acerholic

13th August 2020 and the heatwave has now taken it's toll. New growth and old all suffering.
    But as promised I'm adding these photos to show how cultivars cope at different times of the year and in different conditions. Some definatly not pretty, so have not put them on the Cheering ourselves up with maples thread !!!!
    This is where they should be.
    My Red feather is still putting out new growth, but as can be seen the heat is now affecting it.

Attached Files:

pphdam likes this.
  15. pphdam

pphdam Well-Known Member

@Acerholic D, your acer is very nice. I am thinking to buy one from broadwayroadnurseries.
    Apart from very fine leaves, how does Red Feather compare to Red Dragon in term of colour, growth and size?
    Would it be possible to show me a photo of your whole Red Feather tree including the trunk?
    Thanks.

P

16. Acerholic

@pphdam, good evening P, mine is very small so a trunk photo is not going to show, lol. It is only 3 years old and a very slow grower.
    Colour wise and growth it is very similar to Red Dragon, but it is so much more delicate.
    I keep mine protected from afternoon sun, but the tips still scorch a little.
    Would I reccomend this maple even though I have had it only a short while, YES I would!!!
    The one drawback is where to place it, due to the leaves being so delicate you can see right through it.
    Probably the most difficult maple I have to photograph.
    Just took these for you moments ago. Can you see what I mean !!!
    This one should only be pruned in the Summer, 'no other time'.
    Sorry if this has not helped much, but do come back P if you have any more questions.

Attached Files:

17. pphdam

pphdam Well-Known Member

@Acerholic, good evening D. Thanks for the reply and the photos. When I first looked at your photos posted before today,
    I was really impressed and wanted to get one. But now reading your reply I hesitate because my garden does not
    have much shades to protect the acer from scorching leaves.
    I assume Red Filigree Lace is also as delicate as Red Feather? Perhaps I should look for a Red Dragon instead.
    P

18. Acerholic

@pphdam, I find the lace leaf dissectums rather delicate compared to others dissectums, but Red feather is very very delicate. If you have a place for one P, then I still reccomend it.
    Regarding Red filigree lace or Red Dragon they can both take more sun. I find most dissectums better in the sun than the palmate varieties.
    So would I reccomend Red Dragon, again YES I would and it will stand out against lighter plants a lot better than Red feather.
    Hope that's helped P.

19. pphdam

pphdam Well-Known Member

@Acerholic, thanks for the informative advice again. I agree with you completely, my dissectums are doing very well this summer apart Seiryu, other palmates have scorching leaves. I will think about Red Feather. As for Red Dragon, it has been on my wish list and is very hard to find one with the right size.

P

20. Acerholic

21. pphdam

pphdam Well-Known Member

22. Acerholic

15th August 2020, took this photo mainly for P @pphdam, but I also thought the rain made it look rather pretty today.
    As can be seen, it is such a delicate variety you can see right through it.
    Had to take a close up, as it is a maple that excels in the rain with the the droplets.

Hope this gives you a better idea P.

Attached Files:

pphdam likes this.
  23. pphdam

pphdam Well-Known Member

@Acerholic, good evening D, thanks for the photos posting in this thread and other two threads, the acers look stunning especially with the droplets, I can see Red Feather is very delicate compared to Red Dragon.
    Enjoy your acers!

P

24. Acerholic

@pphdam, thankyou P. Hope it gives you a little better idea of what both look like.

25. Acerholic

1st September 2020 and the very first Autumn dew arrives after a rather cold night.
    One of the most difficult to photograph, but when the colder weather comes, it performs so well.

Attached Files: