Acer palmatum 'Pixie'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by yweride, May 17, 2005.

1. yweride

yweride Active Member 10 Years

Photo taken 5/15/05

Attached Files:

2. lhuget

lhuget Active Member

I've read this variety has winter interest but I can't find a photo of it without foliage. Is it bark/structure?

Also I'm still not clear on how much competition acer palmatums can stand from other woodies. ie. How close can it be planted to a mature tree or hedge? Thanks in advance.

Les

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2009
  3. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Re: Acer Palmatum Pixie

acer palmatum Pixie is a small acer introduced by Buchholz nursery,Oregon, with dark purple leaves high 5 f ,I quote "maples for the Garden"in this book not notice about bark.....

4. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Hi Les,
    After reading your post I went out to check my 'Pixie'. I did not see anything outstanding. The bark, like for many red cultivars, is kind of dark red with some striations, but again the same is for Red Pygmy and other red cultivars nearby. Regarding structure, it does not show anything special. However leaves are really pretty and I can recommend it for instance for container planting.

Acer palmatums are easy going and compatibility is mainly determined by the aggressive nature of roots from the other tree. For example I plant palmatums next to mature oaks and they thrive very well; on the other hand I've given up planting them in the root zone of birches, cherries and hornbeams among others.

Gomero

5. lhuget

lhuget Active Member

Help please on wintering over in a container. I had planned to grow the Pixie in a container and put it in the unheated greenhouse for the winter but my experimental container has now frozen right through in the latest cold snap so that's not going to work. So now I'm wondering if I can put it in my bulb storage room December through March which is at 8 degrees celsuis but completely dark? Thanks.

Les

6. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

for me is a bad idea sun is important !!covered your maple in ext.....

7. lhuget

lhuget Active Member

Thanks Alex. I didn't think the darkness would be a good idea. My next experiment will be insulting the container in peat moss in the greenhouse.

8. Maple_Lady

Maple_Lady Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I have experimented with moving a container grown maple into a barn with little light. The maple was OK and I moved it out into the sun as soon as the worst of the winter weather had passed, but I agree with Alex, sunlight is the best.

9. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

Les,

Check out my pic here. I have a few of those trash cans full of maples. Plants at the bottom of the can get no light from December to March. I've never had a problem because of that condition. The cans are outside in the wind and they do get some air movement, not sure if that matters.

10. lhuget

lhuget Active Member

What a novel idea Poetry to Burn. Its very frustrating for me because I can't overinsulate the tree or it will break dormancy in a Chinook (the death of many less hardy plants in Calgary) but it has to be insulated from the severe cold snaps. I think that idea might just work because it would maintain a more consistent tempurature through both hot and cold spells. Thanks.

Les

11. kaydye

kaydye Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I store all mine in the dark garage over winter and have for the last few years. When they start to bud out, I move them into the bed of my pick up truck. On warm days in April they come out into a shady area and get hardened off, on cold days I park the truck in the garage. It has worked really well and I don't lose any. I'm sure light would be best, but it's working for me, so far. Last year I was really worried because they had leafed out when we had the hard freeze for over a week and they had to stay in the dark for days at a time. But they adapted just fine and were not damaged.
    Kay

12. Maple_Lady

Hi Kay,

Your posting reminded me of something. When I ship maples that are already leafed out sometimes there are in the box for 5-7 days depending upon the destination. I recommend carefully unwrapping and letting them sit outside for a few days to acclimate before planting. So they can handle some dark! Ha!. Sam

13. kaydye

kaydye Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Sam,
    That's true. Speaking of shipping, since in Wash/Oreg the leaves seem to leaf out earlier than for others in the East, when is the best time to request shipping? I have always wondered this. Is it better to be a little after the leaves have hardened off? I'm looking at this as far as what the leaves will look like when they arrive after the shipping trauma. What time would you have to ship to get plants to someone in the East before they break dormancy?
    Kay

14. Maple_Lady

Hi Kay,

Well last year was my first full year of nationwide sales and I learned alot. When maple buds are just about ready to open they are super sensitive and fall off with the slightest touch. I did ship alot in the summer and made sure they were well watered before shipment. I got feedback that they were wilted when they arrived, but after being removed from the box and all the wrapping they came back in a few days. I recommend that when receiving maples in the warmer months it is best to water and then let them sit outside a few days in the shade before transplanting. This allows the maple to acclimate to its new home.

Also last year I had my 1 gallons in a more protected greenhouse and they leafed out early. This year I have them in an open air greenhouse so that they aren't getting soaked, but it is colder and they should stay dormant longer.

Last year's winter snow storm at Easter in April really hurt the Northeast. I am paying attention to that possibility. I think our weird weather will only get worse in the future so it is important for both buyer and seller to keep each other informed about such possibilities. Great thread, I appreciate your maple knowledge. Sam

15. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

Here is a photo of my Pixie on July 11, 2007. It's located under a madrone forest canopy with bright filtered light and has a huge madrone situated less than 4 feet from where it's growing well. What I especially like about Pixie is that it is gorgeous throughout the growing season. It's overlooked as a special JM garden addition.

Attached Files:

16. krautz33

krautz33 Active Member 10 Years

Jake taking a pic of pixie in the spring.

Attached Files:

17. ekbnw

ekbnw Member

May I ask how old your Pixie is and approximately what the height of it is?

Thank you,

Elle

18. krautz33

krautz33 Active Member 10 Years

It is about 4 years old. And about 6ft tall. It was this size when I purchased it.

19. winterhaven

winterhaven Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Here is a picture of my new Pixie (I really like the way the bright foliage contrasts with the white of the Paper Barked Birch):

new picture from 5/11/09

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  20. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

You will LOVE Pixie! I love mine - very bright color..

21. winterhaven

K4, you're right. I've been loving it.

BTW, saw this really low graft Pixie at a local nursery and loved the look of how they shaped it so I thought I would share.

Attached Files:

22. winterhaven

I was so pleased with it that I got another, larger example. I try very hard not to duplicate, but this one was worth it. I'll post photos if time/weather permit.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
    D97x7 likes this.
  23. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

I like the looks of this Pixie

Attached Files:

24. winterhaven

I know I'll never have as many different maples as some of you out there. So I've chosen to try and just acquire the really special (to me, of course) ones. Further, I really try not to duplicate cultivars. Of my roughly 60 maples, only five cultivars are repeated. So I think it's noteworthy that Pixie is the only one of which I have three (Charlie made me an offer I couldn't refuse). Two of three are getting adequate sun and so are nice red colors (I think they'd be even brighter with more sun). My third (sorry no pic) has a lot of green in its lower areas that are just not getting the sun.

PS. Gorgeous color on yours, Charlie.

Attached Files:

25. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

Dear Winterhaven, Trust me, it's not the number of maples you have in your garden, it's the number of maples you love. I got sucked into the numbers game at first and ended up with 450 different cultivars, but frankly most of them really aren't very special. I do have, however, a "top 50" I think are gorgeous and they are the ones that provide the biggest pleasure. They are the ones I show off to visitors. Go for the ones that are special and forget the rest.
    mapledia