Acer palmatum 'Lemon Chiffon'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by mapledia, May 28, 2007.

1. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

This rather dense dissectum has pale yellowish-green leaves in the springtime. In summer it's green, but a light refreshing green. In the fall it's boldly gold-yellow. The tree tends to grow more broad than tall and has a mounding habit. Mine is in a protected area of the garden in bright filtered light. Vertrees mentions "it needs protection from the hot afternoon sun" and mine appears to be flourishing with this protection. This photo was taken May 5, 2007, and I've had this cultivar in the same place in my garden for 2 years now.

Attached Files:

2. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

Mapledia, does this look very familiar to Lemon Lime Lace? I think that they may be nearly the same, if not the same. David

3. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

David, I don't think they are the same plant, though they do show distinct similarities. Attached are photos of both plants: Lemon Chiffon is on the left and Lemon Lime Lace is on the right, and both photos were taken May 10, 2008. Given that my Lemon Chiffon is rather large and my Lemon Lime Lace is still a wee little thing (even after 5 years in the ground), I think you can see subtle differences above and beyond the color differences. Both are very nice plants, though I would not place either of them in my "Top 25." I would give the edge, however, to Lemon Chiffon for its fall color.
    Mapledia

Attached Files: