Acer palmatum 'Hana matoi'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by mapledia, Apr 8, 2007.

1. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

My only comment is that you have it in a black plastic pot, and this pot will absorb lots of heat from whatever sunshine it gets. Perhaps you can place the plant and pot into a lighter colored container. Then see how the plant does in the current location. If you experience wilting or leaf burn, clearly that location is too hot. If that occurs, just move it to a shadier location. Location is everything (according to Gomero, who is always correct).

2. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

That's the pot Sam shipped the tree in, and while I definitely plan to change that out (see my thread on the main maple page regarding smart pots), I want to wait until probably July, when the tree goes into semi-dormancy due to the high summer temps - though, we're already consistently in the 80's and 90's, so I would assume the tree is almost semi-dormant already...

3. maplesandpaws

I'm on the edge of my seat with anticipation... Hurry up already!! :)

Attached Files:

4. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

After losing so many trees in the 2011-12 winter, I'm glad I had no loss this year and that this one too survived.

The colours are not as spectacular as last year's, it's less variegated, but I slipped it in a bigger pot and it seems to develop nicely :

Attached Files:

5. mattlwfowler

mattlwfowler Active Member Maple Society

Finally getting a stable variegation on mine. It was half variegated and half solid but the un-variegated half mysteriously disappeared :)

Attached Files:

6. maplesandpaws

After having flowers on it for over a month, my Hana is finally leafing out - though I'm sure the see-saw weather didn't help any (the cold snaps also killed all the flowers; ended up removing them). So far, the leaf colors are all over the place, perfect. :) I can't wait to see how she looks fully leafed out.

Attached Files:

7. mattlwfowler

That looks abnormal...you should really take care to protect them from cold snaps when they are budding out. Those shoots with flowers usually have an entire branch stored up in the bud prior to leaf out. That tree will probably not fill in too well this year.

8. GardenTroll

GardenTroll New Member

I have just registered to participate in this forum, I am not sure if I am posting this in the correct spot, but here it goes.

We are about to plant a Acer palmatum 'Hana matoi'. We are placing it at the edge of a bed under a 30 year old sugar maple so it will get some east sun and be shaded for the rest of the day. Our springs here in the Ann Arbor, MI area can warm up to 70 degrees and freeze the next day. Our other japanese maples are surviving the occasional spring frosts. Does anyone know how this cultivar takes to extreme spring conditions? Any information about this beautiful Japanese Maple would be appreciated.

9. JerryRaack

JerryRaack Active Member

Welcome GardenTroll, I live in the COlumbus, Ohio area and purchased a Hana matoi last summer, but did not plant it. I left it in the pot and overwintered it in the garage. I planted it this spring, and with our constant rains this summer, it has done well. I don't expect to have any problems with it, and I suspect we don't have much difference in the temp ranges we experience. Mine gets sun from about 10:00AM to about 3:00PM each day and is shaded the rest of the day by large trees. However, I live in a large mature woods, and so my temp extremes are moderated by the woods that surrounds me. I have about 10 different Japanese Maples planted and have never had a problem with any of them in the 10 years I've been growing them, despite some late spring freezes after they've opened.
    Good luck!

10. mattlwfowler

Yes the late freezes are hard to figure out...sometimes they damage them and sometimes they do not. Typically if they are protected by strong winds or have some trees overhead there will be minimal damage. If they are just budding out they typically do not get damaged, but if the leaves are fully open and the hairs are off they are at more risk in my experience.

I'm in the south so it is a bit different...we typically get 80 F plus days in March that are quickly followed by light frosts. This rarely does any damage; however, dropping into the low 20's F could be a problem when they have fully leafed out.

11. maplesandpaws

Unfortunately, my beautiful Hana from Sam at Eastfork did not survive, but I loved the tree so much, I had to get another. This one came from Sooner Plant Farm in OK, one of the few places I (quite surprisingly) I was able to find one of somewhat decent size, fair price and, most importantly, good variegation and low graft. I know it will take a few years, but hopefully she'll fill out nicely in time - she's got good bones to work from.

Attached Files:

12. Maple_Lady

Maple_Lady Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Maplesandpaws - A tall Hana - hope this one fares better than he one you got from me. By the way, prune off the nub left over from the grafting process. If you leave these unpruned I have found that a larger scar forms around the unsightly nub.

As to the hardiness of Hana - protection in the winter is a must if you leave it in a small container. It is hard on the branches when the temps vary so much from warm to freezing over and over. Mulch well for zone 5 or 6. JM roots die when they get to 16 degrees so this is the critical number you have to protect against. Snow is an insulator and will hold the ground frozen at 32 degrees more or less. Hana matoi is one of my favorite lace leaf maples and I think worth all the effort when spring buds break.

13. Maple_Lady

Maple_Lady Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Maplesandpaws I have not heard of a late summer dormant season due to heat. Transplanting in the summer is always a risky business. I recommend winter dormancy - for me that is December or January.

Maybe as I am in the Pacific NW the summer dormant period is not something I am aware of, but as I ship maples all summer it would be good to know as much about this seasonal sleep for maples. Can anyone clue me in and/or educate me about this topic??

14. maplesandpaws

Hi Sam,

Once temps this fall are reasonable, this one's going in the ground in a protected area!!

I had kept the one from you in the garage over winter, bringing it out once temps started warming up (as I had done with several other of my smaller potted maples). Unfortunately, we had literally weekly freeze/thaw cycles of temps as high as the 80s on the weekend, and back down to at or below freezing - often with snow or freezing rain and strong north winds - by mid-week. I had thought I had brought all the pots in soon enough, and back out late enough, but obviously that was not the case. :(

I am a member of the local bonsai club, and this was something I first heard about from some of the older members, some who have lived in Kansas their whole lives, others who have moved here (including one member who used to live in Oregon). How much of this is actual fact, I'm not sure, but this is what they said, and it does make sense... In our area in summer, we can often have weeks on end of daytime highs in the upper 90s and low 100s, which obviously means that the nighttime low might get down to the mid-80s if you're lucky. When temperatures get so hot for such a prolonged period of time, many plants, to help conserve energy and not get more stressed than they already are, slow down the transpiration through the leaves, etc and enter a semi-dormant state. Not a true sleep and shutdown like in the winter, of course. Like I say, I don't know how much of this is actual fact - I should check with our local extension office's master gardeners about this because now you have me curious - but it does make sense that it's a coping mechanism to help reduce stress on the plant. I have also been told, and maybe this is why, that you should never fertilize during the summer, especially when temps are above 80-85F, because you can burn the roots.

So therefore, it's not a seasonal sleep for maples, or plants in general, more of a local, temperature-influenced situation to help reduce stress. I would guess that, if this is truly the case, it might affect some plants more/differently than others. Those that thrive in the heat would not go through this stress-reduction mechanism the same way those plants who are not native to such high temperatures would... I hope I'm making sense here. Maybe others with a greater, more detailed knowledge of horticulture could chime in??

15. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

I am not sure how true that is since in Oregon temps are in the 80's and 90's and the trees are thriving. With ample water and feritlize the growers there are growning plants to unreal sizes.

Now a big issue to maples is the root system, young trees many not have have an adequit root system to support the foliage. This is one reason I am picky about who I get my trees from.

The old saying, cheap is cheap. Quality is rarely sold cheap.

16. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

I have two of these, both are in their third season I believe. One is in the front yard, full sun, and gets blasted with winter winds off Lake Erie. It was bought as a 7 gallon from buchholz (really kicking myself, when I decided to go budget (7g) and forego the 20" cedar box specimen when I saw the 20" box come off the truck. It was possibly the best example of this variety I have ever seen, since I decided against it a couple months before, it is my biggest regret in plant collecting, the nursery owner bought it for his wife instead.) The other was a little 3 gallon that I saw some potential and planted in a pumice stone planter just for fun and to see how it may do and possibly make the transition to bonsai later.

Neither plants get special attention over winter. Both do just fine. They do need regular water to stay happy in the July and August heat.

We get the same kind of early spring weather, 70's and 80's down to 20's all in one day. This variety seems to be fine and tends to leaf out later than some other varieties in my collection, so generally speaking, they are not fooled by the rollercoaster ride of early spring temperatures.

17. maplesandpaws

most of the leaves on my hana matoi are the typical green with a bit of white and pink variegation, but a few - like these - are absolutely beautiful, with many different shades of pinks, greens, cream, maybe even a bit of purple. it *seems* that most of the leaves in this color palette are those that are hit by an hour or so of sun mid-morning, due to the angle as the sun rises from behind the house, while the rest of the tree receives ambient filtered light (it is sitting under 50% white shade cloth). is the extra dose of sun the reason for this increased coloration (though, there are a few more leaves higher up the tree that also receive the same amount of sun, but don't have this coloration)? or is this the beginnings of turning color for fall?

Attached Files:

18. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

It might be that the more colorful leaves are younger leaves from more recent growth, and the older leaves are less colorful. Maybe the tree sent out new leaves on these twigs because they were receiving more light?

19. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

In 2013 the fall color is scalet to dark red.

Attached Files:

• 042.jpg
      042.jpg
      File size:
      524.4 KB
      Views:
  20. AlainK

It's leafing out! I repotted it last year but the roots are too much above soil level, it'll have until next spring now. And it's overloaded with flowers! (the aluminium wires are here because most of the branches were on the same side, trheys-the wires- will be removed during the season):

Attached Files:

21. maplesandpaws

Definitely my favorite variegated dissectum, and the colors are fantastic thus far this spring. We'll see how well she does through the summer.

Attached Files:

22. AlainK

Mine is developping nicely. The variegation on the leaves does not show on new leaves, it appears later. Is it the same with yours?

Attached Files:

23. maplesandpaws

Alain, I'll have to check and let you know.

24. marymyers

marymyers Active Member Maple Society

Here is Hana Matoi from Sam at Eastfork in 2011. It is planted in filtered sun. I have one planted in full sun which is much more red and little varigation. The third photo is of Toyama nishiki.

25. marymyers

marymyers Active Member Maple Society

First time doing pictures. Looks like it did not work. Will try again.

Attached Files: