Acer palmatum 'Geisha'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by mjh1676, Aug 6, 2004.

1. mjh1676

mjh1676 Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

A verigated dwarf tree to reach 1m, but I suspect greater. Great variation in leaf shape, at least in youth, "deeply divided leaves are delicated shades of pink to light cream, saprsely flecked with dark and medium green spots and small patches." Vertrees, 3rd ed. The pictured specimen is from Bloomriver Gardens in Walterville,Oregon and is 2-3 years old. It stands on a tall graft.
    Two pictures of new summer growth and one of the pale yellow mature leaves in summer. All pictures Aug '04.

Attached Files:

2. yweride

yweride Active Member 10 Years

Here is a few that we have grafted on a standard, photos taken 6/5/05

Attached Files:

3. mjh1676

Here are photos taken 07/11/2005 of the plant pictured above.

The larger leaves are the sport on this plant that I have pictured in another thread in the forum. The plant is grown in partially filtered full sun exposure and is holding up very well. It held up well last year in a fair amount of sun also.

Attached Files:

4. mjh1676

Fall color photos: 11/10/05

The large leaves are the sport pictured above that I am continuing to allow to grow. Nice fall color that might be better in a combination planting than alone as it can appear a bit washed out. The leaves on my tree started out with some heat damage that likely prevented a great fall color display.

Attached Files:

5. mjh1676

For anyone who might be interested, here are the two emergent leaf forms on my Geisha--year 3.

Attached Files:

6. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

Very nice pics. throughout the season michael. I want this soooo bad but do not currently have the resources... ;)

David

7. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

Finally got my Geishas in today from Eastfork. Got 2 liners that were propagated by Buchholz Nusery, so I know that I got the right cultivar. They are young but very healthy and developed. I love the variegation, especially on the shorter one. Looks like an absolute winner and is one of my favorites. Here are a bunch of pics, taken today.

Attached Files:

8. katsura

katsura Active Member 10 Years

mapleman, great pics! I am so happy for you. I love my 2 'Geisha's' which are very
    different from one another. An older bigger one is like yweride's post#2 above with
    lovely pinks mixed with mottled green leaves. This 1 is a high grafted tree. Wait til
    you see the unique cerise colors of the first Spring leafage. A 2nd one I got recently
    via Buchholz from a nursery buyer and is more like yours except yours are more
    whitish and mottled. Mine is more greenish with red margined leaves. Geisha is 1 of my
    favorites as well and quite uniquely variegated. Your wait looks well rewarded.
    To paraphrase Cindy Lauper, 'Geisha's' just wanna have fun!

9. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

Katsura, lol. Well I am certainly glad that I have it now. Can you post some pics. of yours throughout the growing season? I am anxious to see more pics. of Geisha as it's very very very pretty and I want to see an older one.

David

10. Cirque

Cirque Active Member

David, great pictures and very nice looking plants. I spoke with Sam at Eastfork
    but I elected to go with 'Geisha Gone Wild'. I didn't see a GGW page so for
    comparisons sake, here's a couple pics ( not the best ). Thanks Sam, the plant
    you sent very nice,

Cirque

Attached Files:

11. katsura

katsura Active Member 10 Years

Cirque, there's a May 1,2008 main page topic on GGW. It was started by alex.
    Search the main forum under 'Geisha Gone Wild'. There r 3 names for this same
    cultivar, GGW/Shirazz/Gwen's Rose Delight.

David, I do not have a digital camera so no pics now but I am going to get a dig cam.
    Yours are 2 lovely Geisha's.
    Mike

12. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

Some of my leaves on the shorter Geisha turned pink and then dropped! It was beautiful but this all happened in about 3 or 4 days, so there are about half of the leaves on it right now. I realize that they'll drop the rest of them soon but it was a surprise as it happened a couple of weeks ago. I would post some pictures but I forgot to take them when the leaves were changing. :(

Anybody else have anything like this right now?

David

13. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

David,
    It happens with my variegated palmatums all the time, specially with the summer growth. I do not know for sure what causes it, although I suspect our hot sun, and I do not worry.

Gomero

14. sasquatch

sasquatch Active Member

May 2009

Attached Files:

15. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

Here are some photos of a couple of my 'Geisha' color this year is good.

Attached Files:

16. amazingmaples

Here are three different Geisha from the same grower all photographed in one day and are planted in different locations, there is a difference in color of all of them.

Attached Files:

AlainK likes this.
  17. Houzi

Houzi Active Member 10 Years

Aha! that's answered my question in your other 'adventures of ' thread...it's Geisha,I really like all 3 of your trees.Would you say it's reliably pink each year?

18. amazingmaples

Geisha in photo one has been planted in that location for a couple years and seems to do well. It is a dry hot bed with protection from wind. I have been happy with the tree. It does get reverions which need to be snipped.Hey maybe i should graft them and name a "new tree".

If you look at yweride post you might see these Geisha a few years back.

I have found that they have not grown much since the first year they came to me.

19. Houzi

It's funny you should mention grafting reversions.I've recently grafted 'Shirazz' and it came out with the colours of 'Geisha',the parent plant I believe,anyway not sure how it's gonna end up,going all sorts of colours now.
    Well you're right,the Geishas haven't grown too much in 6years?(they're still Maikos ha)...but then again,my 'Taylor' didn't exactly rocket up...but I sure do like your trees,so if that's their normal colour(excluding reversions) I've gotta get one now...cheers

20. amazingmaples

Well Kawaii and Olsen's frosted Strawberry are even slower growing, One of my favorite is amagi shigure. it has the color and it looks like it grows a little faster. I have a 10 gallon coming of it this winter. It will take a lot of struggle for that one to leave my place.

21. winterhaven

winterhaven Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

How do they differ?

EDIT: So I found in the Geisha Gone Wild Post http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=281023&highlight=geisha+wild#post281023

And I've never seen the all red or all green leaves on my GGW. But the summer pink/green combo seems the same between the two. Does Geisha ever have the maroon variegation you will see on GGW at various times of the year?

Further, the descriptions from Essence of the Tree read as follows: heavily variegated bright spring, cream in summer (Geisha) vs Intense magenta pink and white spring color (GGW). Further, Geisha's landscape height is reported at 3 ft and GGW's at 6 ft.

22. Houzi

Well I haven't actually seen Geisha in the flesh but looking at the photos I'd sure like one.
    The colours on my little graft have faded now but it did leaf out virtually all pale pink with a slight dusting of green,which is what attracts me to the Geishas shown on this forum.You can see now the proper 'Shirazz'/GGW leaves are starting to appear at the back,with the maroon/pink varieagation.
    You should rarely see plain pink or green leaves on your plant, as Jim says it's a definate varieagated leaf with clear margins between the colours as opposed to Geisha's more speckled appearance.

Attached Files:

23. amazingmaples

it the right bed, this tree is pretty. The spring leaves are not the most attractive looking when they emerge. Some people comment that the tree looks sick . Once they are out and healthy they have a different comment.

Attached Files:

• 010.jpg
      010.jpg
      File size:
      207.2 KB
      Views:
  24. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

These Acer palmatum ' Geisha' photos show that this maple has enjoyed the warmth in my garden this early Summer 2020.

Attached Files:

25. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

OK after very strong Summer winds for last 4 days this is a photo of my Geisha this morning July 6th 2020 and IMO, not doing too badly. In quite an exposed position as well.

Attached Files: