Acer palmatum 'Emperor I'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Elmore, Jul 30, 2004.

1. Elmore

Elmore Active Member 10 Years

Here is a photo of a small 1g Acer palmatum 'Emperor I'. 'Emperor I' is a vigorous, upright growing tree introduced by the late Richard P. Wolff of Red Maple Nursery, Media, Pennsylvania. It holds it's color much better than most other reds and like 'Tamuke yama', it leaves out about two weeks later than most other Japanese Maples giving it the benefit of less spring frost damage.

Attached Files:

2. NJACER

NJACER Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

The photo below shows an 'Emperor I' planted in one of my gardens that gets full sun exposure and is unprotected from wind on the south and west sides. The cultivar has performed very well and holds it red color all three seasons. This tree has been planted in this spot for about 10 years. The photo was taken in Aug 05. I will take some close up shots this spring and update a post isolating the cultivar.

Attached Files:

3. Dixie

Dixie Active Member

Is there a significant difference between 'Emperor I' and 'Red Emperor'?

4. Layne Uyeno

Layne Uyeno Active Member 10 Years

Hi Dixie,

The leaf shapes and sizes are similar, however Emperor I comes out with a deep purple red leaf and Red Emperor comes out with a lighter, burgundy red color. I have seen them mixed up here in Los Angeles.

Personally if I had to pick between the two I'd choose Emperor I. Let's hope both cultivars remain UNDILUTED.

Layne

5. Dixie

Dixie Active Member

Thanks for the info. We have planted two 'Emperor I' in a courtyard near each other and a 'Red Emperor' in a different location. The place where they were purchased said they were pretty much the same. I appreciate it.

6. NJACER

The photos below are of the Emperor 1 shown in the post above in spring and fall of 2006. Notice the Shishigashira in the spring photo is almost fully leafed out while the Emperor 1 is just starting to open up.

Attached Files:

7. dawgie

dawgie Active Member 10 Years

Emperor has grown well for me but it's actually darker than I prefer. I wish I had gotten a Fireglow instead although it's a nice tree.

Attached Files:

8. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

I have seen this tree listed as
    Acer palmatum 'Wolff' Emperor I®
    We have it in our collection it's 15' to 18' tall and is very cold hardy (survived the coldest winter in our areas history 72hrs at -25f and several weeks below-0f) stands up to full sun (in drought conditions above 100f), and never shows drought stress. The trunk is a nice silver grey color. It grows very upright and fairly compact to 10' (1/2 as wide) and then starts to spread more as it grows beyond 10', but even now at 15' to 18' it still remains less than 5' wide up to about 8'h and at the crown at 12' it is spreading to about 12'w; with the highest point in the center at 18'. This makes the tree good for planting by a sidewalk or pathway as it stays narrow up to 8' and then above will grow out over the sidewalk or path.

This is a great tree for beginers or non-plant people as its easy to grow and stands up to extremes once established (should be watered in the first year and during dry summers for the first 3 years). The color is very dark burgundy and turns dark red in the fall. Without any pruning, the tree remains within its bounds and has nice interesting gentle curves in the branches.

The canopy is not overly dense so it provides enough sun to grow other sun loving plants, conifers, perennials, and other varieties of lower growing Acer palmatum around it without the tree providing too much shade to compromise those understory sun loving plants growth and color. It would also do well near a window as you get a filtered view through the canopy with age and a open view in the center as foliage is sparse along the trunk and inner branches. Not dense or bushy at all with age as it opens up to a delicate appearance with age.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
    maplesmagpie likes this.
  9. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

10th November 2020 and this is our friends tree planted 45 years ago. Sadly they are no longer with us, but their beloved Emperor 1 still is.

Attached Files:

10. NJACER

Emperor 1 was introduced in 1976 by Richard Wolff a friend. I was not aware that any trees were released from the nursery until about 1994 as he was working on the TM registration and growing about 6,000 in his field. I visited him often and he would not release a plant to me until 1994. My trees from 1994 are well over 25 feet or 7 to 8 meters.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  11. Acerholic

Good evening, I was told that this was Emperor 1 by our late friends and indeed it was planted around that time or maybe a little after but not by very much. It has been heavily pruned over the years to keep it a size that was manageable. So after what you have said this could actually be Red Emperor, unfortunately I will never know, as tbh I cannot tell them apart and cannot ask the buyers.
    Beutiful photo btw.

12. NJACER

Red Emperor is a synonym for Emperor 1. A very nice tree indeed.

13. Acerholic

Among other synonym's including your friend Wolff. I do wonder as our old friends were travellers and maple collectors, it may have been brought back from the US on one of their cruises. But sadly I will never know.
    Thankyou for your informed insight.

14. Acerholic

This is my Christmas present 2020. It's showing all the tell tell signs of Emperor 1 with the dark red bark. Buds are swelling very nicely.
    This will be kept in pot as I have no room in my garden. Thinking of Bonsai!! Might be interesting in a few years......

Attached Files:

15. Acerholic

3rd April 2021 and I've been looking forward to my present getting started. I will keep this thread regularly updated so people can see how this magnificent cultivar progresses through it's life.
    Emperor 1 177.JPG

16. Acerholic

21st April 2021 and here the leaves start to unfurl. The process never gets boring, year after year after year IMO.
    Emperor 1 197.JPG

17. Acerholic

25th May 2021 and I have full blown leaves on my Emperor 1 now and they are so very dark red atm.
    Emperor 1 239.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  18. Acerholic

8th June 2021 and I was asked yesterday how long do the deep reds of Emperor 1 last. So here it is a few minutes ago in my garden.
    I will also update it through Summer.
    Emperor 1 257.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  19. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Emperor 1 and friends

Attached Files:

D97x7 and Acerholic like this.
  20. Acerholic

1st May 2022 and my first posting this year of my Emperor 1. The deep dark reds of this cultivar are a must in any collection IMO.
    Emperor 1 May 1st 2022.JPG

Xi-feng likes this.
  21. Acerholic

11th June 2022 and the deep colours of Summer are here on my Emperor 1
    Emperor 1 11th June 2022.JPG

D97x7 and Xi-feng like this.
  22. Acerholic

30th May 2023 and some nice colour on my Emperor 1 today.
    PXL_20230530_110718727.jpg PXL_20230530_110709857.jpg

23. Acerholic

4th November 2023 and my Emperor 1 turning bright crimson this morning.
    PXL_20231104_095012497.jpg PXL_20231104_095007427.jpg