Acer palmatum 'Anne Irene'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Acerholic, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

1st October 2020 and the colours are coming. Plus of course with this crazy year, new growth. Anne Irene with so much speckling atm. I am enjoying this cultivar a lot this year.

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

16th October 2020 and oh how the reds are coming in now on my Anne Irene.

Attached Files:

3. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

'Anne Irene'

20210506_192519.jpg

Acerholic likes this.
  4. Acerholic

The buds are only just swelling on my Anne Irene D. Lol.
    You don't hear of this one too often these days, I really wonder why!!?

5. LoverOfMaples

Wow D, she is super late. Is that the norm?

I think its a nice cultivar. I haven't had any problems with it so far. The color of it is beautiful with leaves to match. I've wondered the same thing D.

6. Acerholic

No not the norm D, I think it’s this incredibly cold Spring we have had here. Everything is just treading water so to speak. But next week should see things pick up.
    I'll be watching out for your Anne Irene to compare. I don't see others on the forum with this one.

7. Maple_Lady

Maple_Lady Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Anne Irene is a new cultivar for me that has captivated my attention. I love the growth habit and color. I don't think it will get very big, but I would love to hear from other members about their successes with this one.

Attached Files:

Romain01 and Acerholic like this.
  8. Acerholic

I find this cultivar a reliable and strong tree, I've never had a problem with it at all. I don't see many of these around the days. I wonder if it has gone out of fashion as the new cultivars are released. It definatly doesn't draw your attention like the reticulates or Shirasawanum's etc. But I like it and it does sit nicely with my ghosts.

9. Acerholic

8th May 2021 and I took this a few minutes ago to show Sam @Maple_Lady how it is starting out for another season.
    Anne irene 220.JPG

10. Acerholic

18th May 2021 and a very much overlooked Anne Irene a few minutes ago. Not overlooked by me BTW.
    Anne Irene 230.JPG

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  11. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

What's the deal with this one? Is it an edge variegation going on or something else? Looks to have unusual leaf margins either way.

Not much info online about this one, apart from sellers, and presumably too new to be in the books.

The most info I could find so far was from those good fellows at Mr Maple

12. Acerholic

This is one of those maples you either love or you disregard completely. It used to be for sale everywhere a few years back, but now not so much.
    I do love the frilly edges to this cultivar and it blends in nicely with the more traditional palmate leaf types.
    But everyone has different tastes and that makes this hobby of ours so interesting when we view other people's collections.
    Anne Irene will be staying in my garden hopefully for a very long time to come.

13. Acerholic

29th May 2021 and so much discussion about this one, so I wanted to continue with the photo diary.
    Anne Irene 244.JPG

Xi-feng, LoverOfMaples and D97x7 like this.
  14. Acerholic

4th June 2021 and I just had to post this today. Anne Irene is a lovely cultivar.
    Anne Irene 253.JPG

LoverOfMaples, Margot and D97x7 like this.
  15. Acerholic

17th June 2021 and one of my favourite yellows is my Anne Irene. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I like it a lot.
    Anne Irene 270.JPG

16. Acerholic

18th June 2021 and as this was the focus of comments last night, I thought, why not add another photo. But this time with a few rain drops.
    Anne irene 271.JPG

LoverOfMaples and D97x7 like this.
  17. LoverOfMaples

nice short viedo i found of 'Anne Irene'

Acerholic and D97x7 like this.
  18. Acerholic

I think more and more are going to be getting this one D and especially after seeing that video.

D

19. LoverOfMaples

Update: decided to put it in sun to see if i can get those red margins.

Attached Files:

D97x7 and Acerholic like this.
  20. Acerholic

I think I can see a hint of red already D.....

21. Acerholic

24th June 2021 and I'm continuing the updates on this cultivar as I promised I would.
    Anne Irene 277.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  22. Acerholic

11th July 2021 and continuing the photo diary of my Anne Irene. It's still doing very nicely.
    Anne Irene 299.JPG

23. Karl Villareal

Karl Villareal Well-Known Member

spring of 2021 when I first started with the acer bug, I saw a mass of Anne-Irene's in our plant nursery, unbeknownst to me, how pretty this cultivar could be. it was already in my cart, together with Emerald Lace, Metamorphose and Orange Dream, but i decided to have only 3 at that time.

now running at ~75 cultivars in my garden I still regret that day, for I haven't seen an Anne-Irene since. perhaps this coming spring I would find one.

24. Acerholic

Good afternoon Karl. They do seem to come around every couple of years. It's a bit like all cultivars, nurseries do a biannual push. So it might be 2023 when Anne Irene is out there again.

D

Karl Villareal likes this.
  25. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

All depends how many bad reviews and feedback they get from various cultivars which don't make the grade , might do well under closed tunnel conditions when/where they are developed but once they are out in the real world ?? If certain cultivars have bad press it then becomes very hard for those reputations to be over turned and sales are then put on hold for a few years , or in some cases the cultivars name is changed. Wouldn't say Anne irene is one of these but can be prone to bad leaf scorch , just remember anything with Orange dream in it's genes needs protection and not full sun ? Added a pic of mine which was well protected last year and it did quite well , to be honest i was really surprised on how well it coped.

Attached Files: