Acer is growIng full size maple leaves at ends of branches

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Rose Conway, Jul 29, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Rose Conway

Rose Conway New Member

Hi

Can anyone help me please? My potted acer, has started to grow different, full sized maple leaves at the end of the branches. They are not growing from the main trunk, but at the end of branches which already have smaller normal acer leaves growing closer to the trunk. The large maple leaves seem to be taking over.

I’ve had the tree for a number of years and it has always done really well, although it is now looking scorched. I have been feeding acer/ericacious feed weekly. The acer next to it has also started developing maple leaves at the end of branches, but other acers close by are fine.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@Rose Conway, good afternoon Rose and welcome to the maples forum.
    To give you peace of mind you have nothing to worry about. This is called reversion and the branches with these leaves on should be removed as soon as possible. It is from the stronger rootstock trying to take over. As far as feeding is concerned, you do not need to feed maples now and definatly not twice a week. A sprinkling of slow release at the beginning of May is plenty. Maples are not hungry trees. They need to be watered when the compost is dry and kept out of direct sunlight and strong winds. Morning sun afternoon shade is best. Your maple is suffering from wind damage IMO. It does look like one of the varieties that suffers from this more than others.

Hope this is of help.