Acer buergerianum 'Koshi Miyasama'

Discussion in 'Maple Photo Gallery' started by Gomero, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Or 'Nokoribi'

The description in Yano's book says that this cultivar was introduced in 1996: 'The leaves are flushed red, turning green. The secondary bud is red. In the autumn the leaves are red and the leaf fall is late, holding the leaf long time'; The pictures seen at http://ganshuku.cool.ne.jp/23_3nokoribi.html seem to confirm the description.

Now my experience. I acquired a plant from Esveld in December 2006 and planted it in the ground in a place with morning shade and afternoon sun. The spring and summer behavior is like the description but it is its fall and winter behavior that makes it stand out from the others.
    Even if you do not believe it, all the pictures shown below were taken today (night low -2.3°C, day high +2.5°C). All other deciduous trees have lost their leaves and a buergerianum species which is planted 5 meters from this one lost its leaves in mid October. The last pic shows new growth that happened during this month of December (which has been colder than normal in my area, zone 8). It, like all the other maples, is not fertilized.

It behaves almost like an evergreen. The experience of last winter shows that, late January/mid February, it will eventually drop the leaves but, in my garden, no trace of the pretty red hues seen in ganshuku pic.

I do not know how it would behave in a colder zone

Very unusual plant indeed

Gomero

Attached Files:

2. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Re: Acer buergerianum f. integrifolium 'Nokoribo'

Nice pictures Gomero. I like the "watermark" too. :)

As you know my Nokoribo also kept its leaves quite late, but not as late as yours. They were also remarkable for their glossiness.

My plant died (the graft, anyway, the understock is still growing quite happily, and is an attractive buergerianum!) in successive hard spring frosts, after leafing out very early. The first frost caused a complete leaf fall. The leaves then came out full, but were a very startling red shade, quite as shown in the link second picture. I suppose this is a fall picture, perhaps. Anyway it was really surprising, and absolutely carmine red.

I have another Nokoribo in a container, but I won't plant it out until all chance of a late frost is passed!

-E

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

'Nokoribo' seems likely to be a mistake for 'Nokoribi', which in addition to being a surname translates to "embers" in English. When I Google "nokoribo" it asks me if I want "nokoribi" instead. On the first page of hits for "nokoribo" the first half of references is to the maple, the others not seeming relevant and often not even Japanese. Japanese-to-English online dictionary tried (which gave me "embers" for "nokoribi") returned no results for "nokoribo".

"Embers" could of course refer to the reddish new growth.

4. Gomero

Yes, I think the original cultivar name is 'Nokoribi'.

This tree continues to surprise me. This winter has been particularly cold in Western Europe. In my zone 8 we have had in total about 2 weeks with temperatures at or below freezing, day and night with lowest being -7°C. Well today I toured the garden and saw that 'Nokoribi' still has its leaves green without apparent cold damage, I took the two pictures below.
    I wonder how a normally behaved deciduous tree could become evergreen-like; is it a mutation that considerably reduces the production of abscisic acid as the day shortens?,
    if that's so then the tree does not prepare itself sufficiently for entering dormancy and should theoretically be ill-prepared to withstand low temperatures.

Emery, does yours still carry green leaves?

Gomero

Attached Files:

5. emery

No, mine is leafless for the time being. Well and truly dormant, thank goodness. Amazing that yours keeps leaves down to -7. Very pretty, too. We had much colder, minimum around -15. No permament damage hopefully, but I notice for example the Nandina is loosing its leaves. A shame.

I should add that the plant arrived from Esveld dormant.

-E

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

On another subject

"A few trees have consistently unlobed leaves; these were first described as a variety A. trifidium var. integrifolium Makino (A. trifidium is an old synonym of A. buergerianum), but are now not distinguished from the species.[5] Occasional unlobed leaves also occur on most trees with otherwise normal three-lobed leaves.[6]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acer_buergerianum

7. Gomero

Re: Acer buergerianum f. integrifolium 'Nokoribi'

Well, it is almost spring time and my 'Nokoribi', as shown below, pic taken today, still sports lots of healthy green leaves from the past season. It has seen a lot of frost (down to -8°C) and a serious hurricane late January with gusts up to 150 km/h (several huge oaks were uprooted in my garden), those leaves hold pretty well!!.

I also have in my garden the species buergerianum and 3 other cultivars; they all behave as expected: nice colors in October and then leaf fall by mid-October.

One possible explanation for the unusual behavior of my 'Nokoribi' is the rootstock (I am just speculating that, somehow, the rootstock influences the graft). In de Beaulieu's book on maples it is said that in its original habitat many buergerianums behave like evergreens. So my 'Nokoribi' could have been grafted to an evergreen strain of A. buergerianum, or, why not, grafted directly onto A. paxii (I do not really know if this is possible).

Gomero

Attached Files:

8. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Really amazing, Gomero! It would be interesting to graft a branch of your tree onto another rootstock and see if behaves the same way.

9. emery

Gomero I got my first Nokoribi from the same source at the same time, I imagine its the same understock. Although the graft died I am growing the understock on, it is a nice looking berguerianum with no sign of persistant leaves.

I will be very interested to see how the new Nokoribi behaves, but for now it is dormant in its pot, I won't plant it out until risk of spring frost is past.

-E

10. Gomero

Trying to understand what's going on I stumbled across this cultivar of Acer buergerianum: 'Kohshi miyasama'. According to the description at Esveld's (http://www.esveld.nl/htmldiaen/a/acbkmi.htm) it is
    aha!, I said, I have a case of mislabeling. However when I looked up the Ganshukutei site for confirmation (http://ganshuku.cool.ne.jp/23_2koshimiyasama.html), the pics looked quite different to my 'Nokoribi'.

But, in any case, it seems to confirm that the semi-evergreen behavior of A. buergerianum and its cultivars is not unusual. It remains to be explained why.

Gomero

11. Gomero

Well, I am 90% sure that the plant I have is the cultivar named 'Koshi miyasama'. My supplier carried it at the time I bought it and we can assume it is a case of mislabelling. All the descriptions I have seen confirm the assessment. The pictures at Ganshukutei threw me off but I do get some reddish new leaves.

Maybe Daniel could merge this thread with the existing for 'Koshi miyasama' and change the titles of the posts. I have seen it as A. buergerianum subsp. ningpoense 'Koshi miyasama', and Acer buergerianum f.integrifolium "Koshi miyasama"; I am not sure which one is correct.

Just for fun this is a pic I took this weekend. If anybody wants wood, just send me a private message.

Gomero

Attached Files:

12. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Is there an existing thread for 'Koshi miyasama' to merge it with...?

13. Gomero

Gosh!!, did I smoke some dried acer amoenum var. matsumurae leaves when I wrote that? , I cannot find that thread again!!
    Then just change the thread name from 'Acer buergerianum f. integrifolium 'Nokoribo'' to 'Acer buergerianum f. integrifolium 'Koshi miyasama'

Gomero

14. Gomero

Re: Acer buergerianum f. integrifolium 'Koshi miyasama'

Emery,

Any feedback on your 'Nokoribi'?

Gomero

15. emery

Mine is hanging in there, but had a bad experience with a hard late freeze this year on 13 May. (It wasn't, obviously, the only one to suffer: e.g. A mandshuricum died back by about 2/3...) It was in very lush leaf, and although it looked like it had done OK, within a few weeks the leaves went brown, and I noted some freeze damage low on the stem (but well above the graft). It has come back out and pushed out a lot of growth -- leading be to think the root is in good shape -- which is still in green leaf in spite of several freezes. But I'm concerned about the ripeness of the wood to withstand sustained low temperatures.

It certainly looks like a form of integrifolium to me. I'm just hoping it makes it through this winter. That'll be the real test for the long term.

BTW the first rootstock is doing very well and making a very attractive tree with very wide spread trident leaves.

16. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Back on the name issue - the photos in the first post don't show any signs of having their folia integral (i.e., unlobed), they're normal 3-lobed. So I'd suggest calling the thread just Acer buergerianum 'Koshi Miyasama'.

17. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Done.

European suppliers Esveld and Maillot now carry this plant under the shorter version of the name also.

18. emery

I notice that Esveld no longer lists 'Nokoribo' (or Nokoribi) in the catalog.

The question of whether this will prove to be f. integrifolium will be better answered when we have some older wood to look at. I have noticed that new wood often shows multi-lobed leaves where older wood shows simple leaves in some other species e.g. discolor. However I have noted some leaves with very unformed lobes.

19. Gomero

OK, mine is now 5-6 meters high and a trunk of about 20 cm. Most of the leaves are completely unlobed. I will take some shots tomorrow since, as I have explained, it has an evergreen behavior in my place, keeping the green leaves trough the winter. It is probably A. buergerianum subsp. ningpoense 'Koshi miyasama'. In their book 'Maples of the World' D.M.Gelderen, PC de Jong and H.J. Oterdoom say:
    "Acer buergerianum ssp. nigpoense: leaves unlobed or with minor lobes. tri-nerved, leathery, sometimes evergreen in warm climates. Cultivar: 'Koshi miyasama', H.J. Osterdoom saw the subespecies in Guanhzhou and confimed the affinity of the cultivar to it".
    Gomero

P.S.: Emery, is yours evergreen?

20. Gomero

I found two pics I took two days ago

Gomero

Attached Files:

21. Gomero

Here are some more pics taken today. In the second pic you can see both sides of the leaves. It is a nice, vigorous tree that charms the garden in the winter with its evergreen leaves.

Gomero

Attached Files:

22. emery

Very pretty indeed. And many more simple leaves than with mine, though I hope mine will catch up in this and other respects.

Gomero, mine is not evergreen, but keeps it's leaves until the really cold weather. However I am not convinced it will survive this winter, weakened as it is and with pretty unripe wood. We shall see.

23. Gomero

It is true that in February, when temperatures dropped below -10°C and stayed below 0°C for two weeks, all the leaves dropped and it remained leafless for about a month. Juvenile leaves are mostly lobed as it can be seen in the pictures I posted when the tree was pretty young.

Gomero

24. Gomero

I guess we all have some pet trees, this one is one of mines. It has grown quite vigorously this year shooting past 6 m. The first pic shows all the types of leaves in the tree at this time. However 80% of them are the unlobed tiny ones to the right. The large lobed ones correspond to new summer growth.

Gomero

Attached Files: