Backyard Pond Koi Acting Strange

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by jebo, Jun 12, 2007.

1. jebo

jebo Member

I have a pond in my backyard which we put in late last summer and inhabited with several koi and goldfish. They seemed to do well all winter and startrf eating the wheat germ pellets early this spring but for about the past month they have stopped eating. We can still see them but they refuse to eat. We tested the water ph in case there was an imbalance making them ill but everything was normal. Does anybody know what could be wrong and if they are sick how do we determine and treat?
    Thanks so much in advance!

2. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hope you have no Euphorbias growing near the pool. Their sap is toxic to fish, so if you prune them and it drips in = trouble.

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Ditto a lot of insecticides and other pesticides. Don't use these! (and try to persuade your neighbours not to, either)

4. kinnika

kinnika Active Member

I wouldn't be too concerned as they are probably eating the insects, mosquito Larvae and plant life off of the bottom of the pond. The reason they ate the pellets this spring was because there was no food for them. There are a lot of people here in Alberta that don't feed the fish at all in the summer as long.

5. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Could the pellets be contaminated with the same stuff that has killed so many animals. Can't remember the name of the stuff but I think it is something about protein booster. Imported from China. THere have been massive animal food recalls particularly in US.

Liz

6. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Melamine.