Can You Identify This Plant?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Oldjeans, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Oldjeans

Oldjeans Member

A friend phone to ask me if I could identify a plant growing in her garden. After she described it, I thought it could well be a lysimachia - the yellow loosestrife. However, we stopped in to have a look and this plant is a new one.

It is 21/2 feet tall and has only one stalk. The blossoms are groups of yellowish 1/2 inch bell-like flowers with purple stamens and pistils. The blossoms grow right out of the stalk just above the leaves which are thistly-like and somewhat rough feeling, but not prickly and not fuzzy. Except that it is much larger and the blossoms more yellow, it does resemble the lysimachia, but from the information given me, it is probably an annual.

Since this is early June in Zone 3 and this plant is already blooming and appears to have the beginnings of countless seeds, I expect it is not something we want despite its interesting looks.

I'm sorry I still don't have a digital camera to take a picture.

Any ideas? Thank You.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Sorry, drawing a blank. Are the flower parts in multiples of 3, 4 or 5 (or more)? Are the leaves arranged opposite or alternate? Are the flowers sessile or on a short or long peduncle (i.e., do they seem to be sitting right on the stem from where they emerge, or are they on a stalk)?

3. Oldjeans

Oldjeans Member

Hello! Daniel

Flower parts are in multiples of three to five and are sessile. When first opened, the golden/yellow flowers appear sprinkled with pepper. After opening fully more like dark lines in petals.

The leaves are serrated and are now 8 to 12 inches long at the bottom of the plant - which is now close to 4 feet tall and growing.

We are going to get a picture of this plant to you by next week we hope.

Thank You

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yes, I'll need a photo - someone else might be able to suss it out without it, though.

5. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

Are the leaves big - or rather, are the leaves nearer the base big? If so, it could be a Verbascum. I agree with Daniel - without a picture of the blooms and the leaves and the whole plant, I am shooting in the dark here.

6. Oldjeans

Oldjeans Member

Daniel and Weekend Gardener

I am getting a photograph of this plant tomorrow and will scan it. I have sent pictures by email, but haven't a clue how to scan and send to this website. Could someone educate me about this?

It isn't a Verbascum - that is mullein, right? We have multitudes of that about.

7. Daniel Mosquin

How to Attach Images - very similar to an email, actually. You just need to be certain to wait for the image to upload to the server.

8. Oldjeans

Oldjeans Member

Daniel

Sending Pictures - I hope. I'm not pleased with the colours, but this is what scanned.

I note that the flowers higher up the stem have now grown a stalk!

Attached Files:

9. mkplant

mkplant Active Member 10 Years

It looks like Henbane, Hyoscyamus niger.

10. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yep, Henbane.

Note: very poisonous.

11. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

Wow, that's a new one on me - I would have had to post for an ID too!