What I think are fungus gnats...

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by sheckylovejoy, Apr 27, 2007.

1. sheckylovejoy

sheckylovejoy Member

I am growing potted delphinium in Los Angeles and I have recently noticed tiny little flies crawling around the soil. A Google search on "tiny soil flies" yielded lots of info on fungus gnats, though mine don't seem to fly around a lot, just crawl through the soil. They definitely have wings.

If they are fungus gnats, then they are undoubtedly there because of overwatering. I find that Delphinium need at least some water every hot dry day (we get many here in LA, with more to come), or they start to droop badly during the hottest part of the afternoon. They are THRIVING with this overwatering regimen (with plenty of dranage), and other than the gnats, the flowers are simply awesome.

So the question is, if stopping the overwatering regimen is not a preferred option, what can I do? I see that there are many pesticides available, which is preferred and why? Is doing nothing an option? They haven't become a nuisance and the plant hasn't seemed to be effected.

I've attached the best picture I could get of the flies -- 2 of them hanging out on a terra cotta pot. Also, I've attached a photo of the latest delphinium bloom, just because it's pretty.

Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

Those look like gnats to me. Firstly, it's not the middle of the hot summer, so the need to water should be less. You could try covering the top of the soil with sand or some other inorganic material. Fungus gnats only lay eggs on organic matter. Frankly I still say to wait longer between waterings. The biggest danger when you see gnats is not from the gnats but from root rot, which has the same cause (over watering).

M.

3. sheckylovejoy

sheckylovejoy Member

Honestly, I'm afraid to stop over watering. For example, yesterday, even though the soil was completely moist, 2 of the 3 new flowers coming up now were drooping, and their leaves began to wilt. Cold water brought them back. I've seen this before on sunny days over 75F or on particularly windy days (I just bring it inside)

4. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

overwatering can bring the same symptoms as underwatering. the roots on an over watered plants will rot and break down leaving a lack of ability to uptake water. let it dry between waterings and your plant will grow to be happier in the long run.

5. Fury2G

Fury2G Member

What I did to rid my plants of fungus gnats was to place small trays of lemon juice concentrate on the soil. They will fly into it and die. You will have hundreds of dead gnats in the trays. Try it, its cheap and it works!

6. sheckylovejoy

sheckylovejoy Member

Thanks will try it today.