Beginner Bonsai

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Alden, May 11, 2007.

1. Alden

Alden Member

I read an article on-line recently that rekindled an interest in bonsai trees. This article described starting a tree from cuttings using a method called Air Layering. After reading the article I took some cuttings from the Norwegian maple in my front yard, and followed the instructions carefully. Then I went further and gathered some of the very small saplings growing behind my garage and planted them in shallow pots with potting soil mixed with some gravel and sphagnum moss layered on top. I watered each thoroughly and set them outside to get some sun. After all this I decided to research Air Layering and read that the chosen limb is supposed to stay on the tree. I'm sure that all you experienced gardeners are getting a big kick out of this thread, but I do want to cultivate some bonsai trees so when you finnish laughing please enlighten me as to the proper way to get started.

2. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

Well... yes... it is kind of funny. ;)

There are a number of ways to get into bonsai. Seeds, cutting, airlayers, nursery plants, collecting from the wild/yard and buying finished trees from a bonsai grower. These are also listed in order of how long it takes to get an established bonsai. Most people have trees from most or all of these methods.

For you, I suggest giving the airlayer another try now that you know what is going on. While you are waiting for that you can hit the library and pull out a bunch of books on bonsai. Once you get a better idea of what to look for then grab some junipers from a garden centre and let the carnage begin!

And don't feel bad about that failed "air layer". You'll kill plenty of things in bonsai... but as was once said, dead trees are the price of tuition.

So, there are a lot of ways to begin. Some better then others.

Michael

3. Alden

Alden Member

Thanks for the advice. I will certiantly grab a good book and educate myself.

The cuttings that I airlayered are wilting and looking weak (not surprisingly), but the young trees I took are still firm and vibrant. Perhaps there is hope for them. I took some small saplings only about 4-10 inches tall from around my yard, I've got 6 of them. Normally they would be tossed out, but this time I planted them in some shallow pots with normal potting soil, 1/3 gravel mixed in, and some sphagnum moss on the top layer. If they take then great if not then armed with some knowledge I'll do better next time. There's certianly no shortage of specimens around my neighborhood.

4. globalist1789

Good work on the seedlings, are they the same as the cuttings?

As for the cuttings, you can forget about them (sorry). Search this forum for threads about taking maple cuttings and you will understand why I say that. Their chances are slim to none. Maples just don't strike from cuttings.

5. Alden

Alden Member

The seedlings are the same as the cuttings. Some are from the silver maple in my front yard and the others are from a norway maple in my neighbors yard.

Here's something more interesting though; my neighbor also has a japanese red maple that is rather tall, and it has sprouted some seedlings under my deck. I have mentioned this in another tread in the maples forum which you were kind enough to reply to as well, thankyou:) The one sapling is about 3ft tall and I will transplant it next spring, early as you mentioned, but there are two others that are still kind of small. I know the top soil under there is only about 3-4inches deep with a layer of #2 gravel beneith. I took your advice and visited a local bonsai nursery today, asked questions and did some reading. I bought a couple of pots and soil for the trees, but am reluctant to transplant them untill I am sure they will adjust to the new soil. Perhaps I should keep them in what they are growing in, just move the entire clump of soil (tree and all) to the new pot? Or should I wait till next spring for these as well?

6. globalist1789

It is best to wait. I transplanted some little maples like that last year. Some just sat there in the pot for the rest of the year. Some dropped their leaves and others just died. Now I have seedlings that I started this year and they are exactly the same size as the ones I grabbed last year. So, if you leave them they will be a year bigger when you move them. It's a waste of your time to move them this year. You'll just have a lot more little pots to water all the time.

M.

7. Alden

Alden Member

So Bonsai isn't geneticaly dwarfing trees by trimming roots and branches, and wiring limbs. It's artfully mimicking larger trees by sculpting woody shrubs or naturally small or dwarfed trees into natural or interperative shapes. I should treat the plants I choose to use just as I would if I planted them in my garden and pruned them to look good. The only difference being the small pots and uniuqe soil conditions (not to mention my own influence and creation).

8. globalist1789

There... realizing that is one of the major "ooohhhh... I get it!" moments. You can take any bonsai out of its pot, plant it into the ground and in a few years it will just look like a tree of what ever species it is. Once you figure that out it becomes a lot less intimidating, no?

9. george nesfield

george nesfield Member Maple Society

Hi,
    OR take a shrub or small tree or conifer out of the ground and put it in a pot trim the branches a little and trim the roots a little to fit the pot then mix 60%compost to 40%pea gravel and pot it, water in and leave it for about two to three weeks and when it has settled in start to shape it.
    If you start the hobby from seedlings it will take months before you can start to shape them so start with something bigger and then you can get right into the hobby.
    George

10. stonegarden

stonegarden Member

maybe you can go to the local nursery or garden store and try to find a dwarf Japanese Juniper (Juniperus Procumbens 'nana) . It uaually comes in black pots in two sizes ($6.99-or $14.99) Its a tough little tree-like shrub, nearly impossible to kill (just remember to water)

Just do a quick internet image search to see what other people are doing with this great little shrub. Perfect for a wonderfully aesthetic and authentic japanese look, relatively quick to achieve and almost instantly gratifying with very little hard work.

consider looking into two important styles perfect for Japanese Juniper.
    cascade style, and informal upright style.

always plant evergreens like junipers in an unglazed pot (perhaps dark chocolate brown)
    to fully enhance and compliment its modest yet regal look.

good luck and enjoy

11. Alden

Alden Member

I did buy some japanese junipers actually (2 of them). I've potted them in pots from a local bonsai nursery and I'm using a soil that their in house professional mixes himself. I'm looking forward to learning more, and the information and links you all have provided have been a big help. Thankyou very much, and I'll keep you posted with pictures and updates (and alot more questions).

12. stonegarden

stonegarden Member

look up "pinching" technique. (very simple ) it's the correct way of pruning the new growth of junipers in spring through summer. It encourages the foliage to grow more dense in the future which is beneficial for a more mature look.

for pruning woody branches; a sharp pair of scissors or use good pruning shears like this

Attached Files:

13. Alden

Alden Member

Progress report:

I've got quite a few plants started now; an azelea, 2 japanese maples, 2 junipers, a sugar maple from the yard, and a few maple seedlings in trays. I'm keeping the maples in their one gallon pots and I've wired them into the form I'm looking for. Next spring I'll transplant them to bonsai pots, root prunning them at the same time. According to what I've read this is the best way to train young store bought saplings. I've already moved the azalea to a clay pot (not a shallow bonsai pot) and the junipers are in bonsai pots. Everything is doing well, and I'm enthusiastic about next spring.

14. MangoMan

MangoMan Active Member

Any updates or photos?

I know its been more than a year :o