Looking for another Clivia

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by newbieplantlover, May 3, 2007.

1. newbieplantlover

newbieplantlover Active Member

I have had my Clivia for the last couple of years and have gotten blooms for the last 2 or 3 and have really fallen in love with it recently and I would love to have another one. It hasn't so far put out any pups, is there a way to encourage this? Where is a good place to find one to buy? No one where I live has even heard of them:( Is there an online Canadian site to order one from?

Thanks for any help!

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Not a rare item. Try searching www for "clivia", multiple sources bounds to pop up.

3. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

Newbie--I'm surprised it isn't producing any offsets, these seem to occur constantly with mine (I'd probably prefer if it kept to more of a single, larger stem with lots of flowers, but oh well). Just keep yours real happy and it will probably start to "multiply".

When it flowers, you will often get seeds (or could encourage them by rubbing the pollen onto the stigmas of the flowers). The seed pod has to ripen throroughly, gets real bright orange, then the seeds sprout easily once sown in a reasonably warm spot.

4. James D.

James D. Active Member

I just saw a whole bunch of clivia for sale at rona home and garden of all places, i think they were $25

5. DandyLioness

DandyLioness Active Member

JamesD - that sounds like a good deal. I saw a bunch for sale at Fairway Market (they have a plant area out front) and they were asking 39.00 for them!!

I was thinking about getting one, untill I checked out how finicky they were. I'm just not into paying big bucks for a fussy plant.

6. Padraigan

Padraigan Active Member

hello newbieplantlover,

I also love clivias. check out www.clivias.com. great photos there ! I will have one some day also.

7. newbieplantlover

newbieplantlover Active Member

I am going to try the pollen thing next time mine flowers. I managed to track one down at a nursery in the Fraser Valley so hopefully I can get it somehow.