Acer cissifolium

Discussion in 'Maple Photo Gallery' started by Andre, Oct 8, 2005.

1. Andre

Andre Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Aka "Ivy leaf maple".

Japanese maple close to Acer negundo. Seed abundant but few have embryos.

More infos here

More pictures here

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If the tree is still there, a prominently situated, large example of this species can be seen on the University of British Columbia main campus.

One at the Seattle arboretum measured 39' x 3'1" x 41' in 1993 (Van Pelt, Champion Trees of Washington State (Washington)).

3. Laurie

Laurie Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Acer cissifolium, Washington Park Arboretum, Seattle, accession 1949. In the sun this tree gets lovely orange tones in autumn; in the shade soft yellow.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2005
  4. Laurie

Laurie Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Acer cissifolium - private collection.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2005
  5. Scion Swapper

Scion Swapper Active Member

I love this species, but it is rare and hard to propagate. Trees at the Tyler arboretum near Philadelpia, PA show a beautiful dome-like habit (like Fagus) and a very intricate branching structure. I've collected seeds from 30 year old trees grown adjacent to one another to find the seeds to be hollow and sterile. For cultivation, perhaps grafting onto Acer negundo might be easier??? I'll keep trying with the seeds, maybe cuttings will work here??? Should be commercially offered....

Brian

6. Ron B

Is commercially offered. If 30 year old planting all same clone wouldn't make any difference that there was more than on propagule present.

7. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Vine-leaved Maple (not Ivy-leaved; Cissus is a genus of vines).

8. jamkh

jamkh Active Member

Michael
    Sometimes Acer cissifolium is referred to as a Ivy-leaved maple as the single leaf does resemble an Ivy leaf, though common names of plants can be confusing.
    Each leaf petiole bears compound leaves of 3, is it possible that it is a tri-lobed maple leaf with the base of each lobe becoming separated and its base vein looking like a shortened petiole? Anyway it is just a wild speculation!!

9. Michael F

Just checked several books - they all list it as Vine-leaved (/leafed), none as Ivy-. Which is what one would expect with a rare species where the "common" name is simply a translation of the scientific name.

Yep, that's probably near enough true. The odd one out is Acer negundo, which often has five pinnately arranged leaflets.

10. Scion Swapper

Acer cissifolium is commonly called "Ivy Leaf Maple" as a common name, at least from all my references. The only "Vine Maple" that I know of is Acer circinatum. Do a google search for yourself of each and see, or check "maples of the World", van Geldering.. etc....

Brian

11. Ron B

The Van Gelderens would probably have to switch from nursery stock to livestock before they were the Van Gelderings.

12. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Heheh, Ron. There is no doubt that Brian is right and many have adopted the name "Ivy Leaf Maple" for A. cissifolium. The GRIN/USDA gives this common name citing ivy-leaf maple (Source: Wiegrefe, p.c.).

Maples of the World, like Japanese Maples, gives the common name as "Vine Maple,"
    that's all I had ever heard before looking at this thread.

At least we can agree on the latin name for this one! ;)

Mine is a standard, in its second year here. I am not convinced it is going to make it, but for the time being it is still alive and showing bud swelling now. There seems to be a fair amount of dieback, not sure if the wood got a chance to ripen during last year's rainy summer.

A beautiful tree.

-E

13. smivies

smivies Active Member

Rather appropriate common name when you compare the leaf to Cissus rhombifolia, the common "Grape Ivy" houseplant. I might have named it the Poison Ivy Leaf Maple with it's resemblance to Toxicodendron radicans but then it would be Acer toxicodendrifolium :-)

14. Michael F

Once again, checked several authoritative textbooks, and all give Vine-leaved / Vine-leafed. None say 'Ivy-...'.

15. Scion Swapper

Humm, well I know Dirr refers to A cissifolium as Ivyleaf Maple. A quick google search shows a majority of sites, primarily educational and arboretum sites in the US, also call it Ivy-leaf Maple. Perhaps the popularity of the "Ivy" common name is the result of Dirrs Manual and it's popularity as a reference here in the states. Just another example of why taxonomical names are preferred over common names.

16. ogrodnik

ogrodnik Member

I have heard that A. cissifolium may be propagated by cuttings. Could anyone please tell me something about it? Is it worth to try? I have an access to one specimen. It doesn't have seeds so cuttings seems to be the only way. I'm going to try with hardwood cuttings this winter.

17. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I went to the West End Community Centre last week to see the Acer cissifolium trees mentioned in Straley's Trees of Vancouver.
    20090711_WECC_AcerCissifolium_Cutler_DSC04064.jpg 20090711_WECC_AcerCissifolium_Cutler_DSC04071.jpg

So this week I decided I'd make a list of the trees on the blocks near me, mostly to have a place to record some of the Park Board codes I've asked about on their new-tree tags. And then I learned that there are three of these trees on the next block from where I live, that I've been walking past every day for 25 years. I wondered right away if they were maples, but sad to say, the brown tips that I'd seen on the community centre trees clinched the ID for me. The first photo shows one of them dwarfed by the silver maples.
    20090714_BidwellPendrell_Acercissifolium_Cutler_DSC04114.jpg 20090714_BidwellPendrell_Acercissifolium_Cutler_DSC04116.jpg 20090714_BidwellPendrell_Acercissifolium_Cutler_DSC04121.jpg 20090714_BidwellPendrell_Acercissifolium_Cutler_DSC04124.jpg

18. Ron B

What about the one on the campus? Is it still there? Impressive standing there by itself, next to a building.

Jacobson, North American Landscape Trees (1996, Ten Speed, Berkeley) records that the names Vineleaf Maple, Trefoil Maple, Ivy Leafed Maple and Japanese Boxelder have been used for this tree. He also reports that one in Philadelphia was measured as being 42' x 9'8" x 53' during 1980.

19. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Attached Files: