Two unnamed succulents...please ID

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by kia796, Mar 18, 2007.

1. kia796

kia796 Active Member

I've had these so long I don't recall what they are. They were so rootbound I planted them out in the garden today.

Attached Files:

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

The second one is Hatiora salicornioides, Drunkard's Dream. Looks to be a little thirsty.

3. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Neither is likely to be cold hardy outside.

HTH
    Chris

4. kia796

kia796 Active Member

junglekeeper, What a peculiar common name for that plant! You're right about the watering...the two succulents' roots were so bound and grown INTO the unglazed clay pot, I very nearly had to break the pot to get them out. I gave them lots of water immediately after planting out.

Any ID on the first one?

Chris, thanks, I will dig them in Fall and store in a cold building, as usual. It was nice and warm today...a real treat for plants and people!

5. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

I think it's quite appropriate given the segments look like miniature wine bottles :)

6. TonyR

TonyR Active Member

The other one is what we once called Crassula falcata, but I think it has since been reclassified as a subspecies of C. perfoliata - can't remember the name. Known by some as "propellor plant".

As for "drunkard's dream" -- I have always felt uncomfortable with some of these cutesie names for plants that are beautiful in their very varied ways and should be admired for their intrinsic appeal, not treated as objects of amusement. Does anyone else share this reaction?

7. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I'd participate if you started a new thread about this! It looks like an interesting discussion topic.