source for TRACHYCARPUS FORTUNEI seeds

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by randalls, Dec 31, 2006.

1. randalls

randalls Member

I'm looking to purchase a large amount of Trachycarpus Fortunei seeds (400-500). Any suggestions? If I order from the internet from the USA is paperwork required.
    Thanks
    Randall
    Victoria BC

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If you don't get anywhere with this approach maybe try gathering from local specimens when available. Seattle specimens fruit, in fact I've seen some reseeding at one location.

3. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

In my experience, paperwork is not required for seed.

4. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Randall
    I'm just up Island from you and can help you in your request. Local source is best for freshness and zero border hassle. Further contact here or PM me on this forum if that's your desire.

Cheers, LPN. (Barrie)

5. randalls

randalls Member

Thanks for the information. LPN (Barrie), I'd like to speak to you about seeds. I'm new to this site and can't get the private message feature to work.
    cheers
    Randall

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2007
  6. LPN

Will do Randall.

7. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Randalls - I bumped you to the user level where you can use private messages (and removed your email address from being publicly posted).

8. guster

guster Member

Well, I know that I'm being very impudent but could anyone send me just one TRACHYCARPUS FORTUNEI seed to Bulgaria? I guess nobody would... but... let's give it a try anyway. :)

9. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Здрасти Guster,

You would probably be best to get seeds from the plants in Пловдив, as they are local-adapted to your conditions. See http://www.polarpalm.net/indexb.htm for details.

10. LPN

Micheal F ... those are some crazy palm growers! No doubt having fun though.
    Cheers, LPN.

11. palmera

palmera Active Member

I also have local Trachy seeds in large or small quantities. Please PM me if you'd like more info. And Guster, I'd be willing to send you one...

12. Michael F

Yeah, full marks to the Bulgarians for trying to grow it!

The really odd thing is that although Trachycarpus fortunei is fully hardy throughout Britain, hardly anyone ever tries growing it - it's a really rare sight around here. More down to lack of interest than anything else. In the whole of Northumberland (5,200 sq. km) I know of only three; two old, mature specimens in 19th century mansion grounds, and one recently planted in a private garden.

13. LPN

Interesting Michael F... One gets the impression (especially from visiting UK Oasis website) that these are routine plantings. One fellow there is importing large specimen of other hardy palm types into England for sale to the general public. These would come with hefty price tags too.

Cheers, LPN.

14. Michael F

Hi LPN,

They'll be in southern England - there's an awful lot more £££ (CN$$$2.27) floating around down there, which makes a big difference, but failure of imagination also plays a large part. People up here just don't think of palms as something they could grow.

15. LPN

To a large degree that perception exists here as well. It's often people moving here from colder climates that spot these palms and approach me about info. Many locals (probably non gardners) are oblivious to them. One such fellow was standing in the midst of a half dozen mature Trachycarpus and as we spoke, he was unaware of the palms around him. He wanted to know where he could see some palm trees?

Cheers, LPN.

16. DoreenH

DoreenH Member

Hi, I have 7 large containers of Trachy seedlings, about 900 or more to each pot. Would anyone like to trade a clump of them for some other plants?
    Doreen , Shawnigan Lake BC

17. guster

guster Member

Hi :)

Well, it took me a REALLY LONG TIME to notice this... :((

I was very busy this spring and summer, had to study for my final exams and I lost track of everything...

Palmera, are you still here somewhere?