Help needed to mount orchid

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by Lara, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Lara

Lara Active Member

Hi, I want to mount my Phal. orchid. I have never done that before. What is the proper technique? What kind of bark must be used? What are the alternatives for bark and moss?
    Thanks in advance
    Lara

2. terrestrial_man

terrestrial_man Active Member 10 Years

It is hard to give you any advice in this matter until I know if you are talking about a standard phally or a smaller species phally.

3. Lara

Lara Active Member

Hi, thanks for answering, it is a standard phalaenopsis.

4. terrestrial_man

A standard phally is a very large plant! Do you have a log to mount it on!!! I would think a branch as thick as ones thigh might be ok for a display that would look good.
    If you grow it in a greenhouse then no problem with doing it.
    If you grow in the home then you would have to make sure it has the appropriate humidity (at least 60% though 70%+ is better).
    Moss is not necessary though may add a touch of naturalness to the mount. I would use the plastic clothes line or even the plastic covered baling wire found in hardware stores. even cord would work but will rot off in time, which is not a bad idea if the plant gets a good hold onto the branch.
    The branch should be rough barked like pine but not oozing out any resins.
    Just wrap the binding cord or wire or whatever around the stem of the plant and tie. Be sure the plant is snuggly secured to the branch.

5. Lara

Lara Active Member

Hi Terrestrial_man, thanks, the reason that I want to mount my Phallaenopsis is the roots are get rotten even if I water it once a week, sometimes once in two weeks (the temperature in my house is very high). I made a little holes on the sides of the plastic pot, this way, I hope the compost will get dry faster without making roots rotten. I'm looking for a log or a large piece of bark, so far I found only dry piece of wood for fireplace. Will it work? Does log/wood have to be dry?
    Thanks

6. terrestrial_man

Lara,
    why don't you just get rid of the old soil mix and use fresh orchid bark for the phally.

7. Lara

Lara Active Member

I did replace the orchid soil mix twice already, but the roots became rotten anyway.

8. terrestrial_man

How bad is this rot, Lara??
    Got any images?

9. Lara

Lara Active Member

Hi,
    the rot is very bad for some (left with only one root), and for others are better (a few left), but each time I take the plant out to check it, I find new rotted roots. I have another images and will post them later.

Attached Files:

10. terrestrial_man

Looks like the rot is in the stem. Don't waste your time with this as it is slowly dying. Give it a speedy burial into the trash can!!!
    Go out and get a nice new healthy plant!

11. Lara

Lara Active Member

Hi Terrestrial_man,
    The strange thing is that all my orchids are in the same condition (I bought them all in Costco and Home Depot) and they are just stoped blooming. They bloomed for at least 5 months.
    The first image was taken about 2 months ago, this is my first orchid. I bought it in Home Depot. Now it has only one root, but it growing a leaf, a baby, and something like a new root. That is why I decided not to put it to rest. Should I keep it? Will this baby be able to become rot free? And another most important question: is it possible to spread this rot to other plants? I have other types of plants: orchids, hibiscuses and violets. If it is necessary, I will through all rotten orchids away before I'm going to the orchid exposition next week. I want to be prepared.
    Here are the images of this poor orchid:
    Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2007
  12. terrestrial_man

Lara,
    Your situation points out a complaint that I have with orchids, perhaps excluding Cymbidiums, being sold through Home Depot or other such outlets. The persons who care for these plants are not experienced in their care nor may not even be concerned at all. Often such plants are exposed to unhealthy conditions such as coldness and drafts and irregular watering schedules if there is even a schedule at all. It is no wonder such plants become weak, have a mix that becomes a harbinger of suffocation and rot. I do not buy orchids from such places.
    As far as your plant is concerned. You stated that despite your best efforts continual deterioration of the roots appears to be ongoing even with repotting. I think you have already pointed the way to resolution.
    Rot of itself is not an invasive disease but a cultural infection brought about by allowing the normal bacterial flora of any growing media to take hold WITHIN the plant. It does this when healthy roots start to rot because of suffocation. The bacteria is exposed to healthy root tissue and can spread throughout it accordingly. Your plant may look healthy but if rot has occurred anywhere within the plant there is a good possibility that by the time you discover it the bacterial infection has entered most of the plant. I do not really know if there is any adequate treatment to prevent an intial infection from becoming dominant within the plant. Costwise, in both dollars and time, it may be less burdensome to simply dispatch the victim and absolve yourself of this headache. Who needs it?
    Do not feel bad. I will not burden you with my tales of terror! But then part of my growing involves pushing plants to the edge and often they lose. I learn this way.

13. Lara

Lara Active Member

Terrestrial_man,
    thank you very much for your answers!
    Yes, this was a bad idea to buy plants at Home Depot. I will throw all infected plants out. I understand that this infection is withing the infected plant and will not affect my other healthy plants, but as a preventive measure I will throw out also all the pots and disinfect with alcohol the area they were standing.
    I appreciate your help!
    Lara

Last edited: Mar 19, 2007
  14. Cindy K

Cindy K Member

Sorry I am a bit late in responding to this post but I just came upon it now. I too have purchased orchids from various stores that have inexperienced staff taking care of them. Most already have root rot when I bring them home! I have started lifting them out of the pots and peeking at the roots before I buy! I have found that most of the ones with problems are planted in 100% moss (most likely so staff doesn't have to water as often).
    I have had some luck in reviving a few of them though. First, if the plant is in straight moss, I replant it into orchid medium right away. I make sure that I trim off any rotten or dead roots at the same time. I also like to use an orchid pot with lots of holes in it for air circulation. Secondly, cinnamon is great to stop rot in its tracks. I just sprinkle it on any spots where rot has been trimmed off. It really works! Thirdly, I add a product called Superthrive Root Stimulator when I water any orchids that have suffered from root loss or rot. Superthrive is not a plant food but a vitamin/hormone solution. I usually find tiny new root nodes pushing out from the plant within a few weeks.
    Remember to water orchids with root issues sparingly. DO NOT OVERWATER! When in doubt, wait another day to water. Also, when buying orchids, avoid any that have crinkled leaves. This can be a sign of either over or under watering but I have noticed that most with root rot hiding in the pot have some crinkled bottom leaves.
    Just one other quick comment. I have to say that I have purchased some of my most beautiful orchids from Costco. Granted, I most likely lucked out and bought them when they were still fresh but they were already planted in orchid medium and an orchid friendly pot!
    Hope this helps and that this post hasn't gotten too long!
    -Cindy

15. everlasting

everlasting Active Member

Phalaenopsis terminal bud MUST not accumulate water in its terminal bud or it will die just like what happened to your plant. It is trying to survive by producing a keiki!. You have another baby plant to take care of but DO NOT LET WATER stay in the terminal bud! This is one of phalaenopsis' enemies.

In mounting phaleanopsis, position it in such a way that the terminal bud (or that part where the leaves grow) will not collect water. It is also advisable to mount it outside the orchid pot instead of inside the pot to prevent root rot (which is not your case).