Bamboo for Sudbury Ontario

Discussion in 'Poaceae' started by sudbury, Feb 16, 2007.

1. sudbury

sudbury Active Member

Does anyone think there would be a bamboo that could realistically grow in sudbury (zone 4a) Ontario? I know some are hardy to zone 4, but could anything do well?

thanks

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

3. smivies

smivies Active Member

There are no bamboos available that will remain evergreen in Sudbury unless you bend them over to the ground & cover them up before winter or make sure they are covered with snow for the duration of the winter. Getting bamboo to remain evergreen without or with minimal protection only seems to become practical in the zone 6a regions of southern Ontario. Around the Niagara area, winter protection is not required.

Despite the literature that states Fargesia & others hardy down to -28ºC or lower, our cold kills them with duration & dessication. The rhizomes will survive though and shoot again in the spring. Stick with the running bamboos if you still want a dieback perennial, Fargesia (clumping) grows too slowly to use that way.

Simon

4. sudbury

sudbury Active Member

Thanks for all the help

:)

5. bamboofish

bamboofish Active Member

Hi,
    I'm in ottawa and grow phyllostachys aureasulcata very well without much spreading. I like to have it evergreen in April, so I bend it over and cover it. Works great. Springs back up to 15 ft. tall with all the leaves in April, then new growth comes in May. It should grow fine for you with cover, also keep it well mulched through the year.

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

7. zenmommy

zenmommy Member

Interesting...i'll have to look into that one, i'm in ottawa as well