alternative weed killer??

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Pekoe, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Pekoe

Pekoe Member

Queen Charlotte, British Columbia, Canada
    Is there an alternative weed killer for lawns. As I have heard, that weed and feed is no longer available as it contained 2-4-D

2. JanetW

JanetW Active Member

Corn Gluten suppresses the germination of seeds, if you apply this generously in the spring, the annual weed seeds won't germinate. You could try a broadleaf herbicide for the perennial weeds. Janet

3. Dixie

Dixie Active Member

i know there are different laws on pesticides in Canada, but not all weed killers contain 2,4-D. maybe find one that has an active ingredient that is okay to use where you are. does the vinegar and salt solution spray work?

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

5. jimweed

jimweed Active Member 10 Years

You should check around, I am sure you can buy weed and feed still. There would be no reason for manufacturers to discontinue there product because it contains 2,4-D. You may not be able to use 2,4-D products in your community, if it has a local usage ban.

6. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

weed and feed products are still allowable in BC as far as I know. That said, the Gardenworks chain has decided to stop carrying the products in its stores. Corn gluten is not registered as a pesticide in Canada and therefore cannot be sold or recommended as such (legally at least).

7. JanetW

JanetW Active Member

Corn Gluten is not a pesticide and I never said it was, neither is any other weed killer, they are herbicides. I can recommend an all natural way to suppress seeds (legally) and it is sold for suppressing weed seed and as an all natural soil additive (slow release) nutrient source. I am curious as to what is meant by not legally being able to suggest a natural additive??? Janet

8. jimmyq

if it is not registered with a PCP number on the label it cannot be sold as a herbicide.

pesticide includes herbicides, molluscicides, rodenticides, insecticides and other categories.

9. Don Ho

Don Ho Active Member

A great alternative to spraying weeds is to actually get a weed puller and manually remove them from the lawn. It is good exercise, and you get fresh air and sunshine. Also, spraying the weeds does not change the condition of the lawn that allowed the weeds to establish themselves in the first place. You need to ask yourself why the weeds are there? It could be that your soil lacks life, and the plants that are adapted to a lifeless soil, such as most plants we refer to as weeds, will tend to thrive there.

10. growing4it

growing4it Active Member 10 Years

Pekoe, what is the extent of the weed problem. I advocate manual removal of weeds combined with promotion of lawn health - aeration, topdressing with sand and compost, mulching mowers.....

11. Debby

Debby Active Member 10 Years

If weeds are pests, then herbicides are pesticides. I'd always objected to what I'd thought of as misuse of the word pesticide, but now I see the rationale.

12. jimmyq

13. wonderbeecats

wonderbeecats Member

Whenever I read these posts, I always sense the disapproval towards the people that use weed and feed products. I want to point out that there are gardeners out there that use a combination of hand picking and herbicides. I hand pick about 85% of the weeds in my lawn and I have a very large lawn. On the boulevard, however, I like to use Weed and Feed because it gets pummeled with the weeds from neighbours that can't be bothered to cut their weeds (I mean their lawn). The boulevard section of my lawn is too inundated with weeds to hand pick and I am very frustrated Weed and Feed is no longer available. If anyone finds out where you can still get it, would you please let me know?? And no, enjoying the weeds "as part of nature" is not an option for me. With respect to the "new" products, I am not impressed because it is summer, the "spring" products will not work now. So... do you wait until next spring? AND the garden centre said there is a 50% success rate. Terrific. Anyway, thanks for listening.

14. jimweed

jimweed Active Member 10 Years

Hello WonderB. In fact even weed n feed is not permitted for use in North Vancouver as it contains 2,4-d. And remember one thing...the weed control activists bullies have decided that you must live by the way they tell you...you must have weeds in your lawn because they say so! And that is that!

It is just too bad that there has never been a recorded 2,4-d poisoning in Canada in the 50yrs this product has been used. Every Cancer society in the world (including the WHO) agrees after years of testing that it does not and can not cause cancer. It is not known to be toxic to pets, bees, fish, insects or humans when mixed and applied properly. Binds instantly to soil and cannot leach more then 2 inches and breaks down fully within 7 days. But... this means nothing to ignorant people who decided for you that you must have a crappy weedy looking lawn now. Just remember when you vote locally next year which council members voted to ban this product.

Sorry I could go on forever. Here is one trick that will burn off Clover and Dandilions and not hurt your grass. It is not 100% perfect will make a good impact. Liquid Moss Killer (Iron Sulfate) in the warmer weather will burn the broad leaf and not effect narrow leaved turf grasses. This product is allowed for use in your area of North Vancouver.

There seemed to be a lot of Black Medic this year which has a tiny yellow flower and grows in patches like Clover. This weed will die off by the end of July on its own and won't require control now anyway.

As for weed'n'feed the granular bags are becoming harder to find as sales drop. Look for the liquid container that attaches to your garden hose and you may have more luck. Big box stores won't carry it although smaller garden centers and possibly the Otter Coop in Aldergrove will.

Have a great day and sorry if I offended anyone who thinks 2,4-d is killing the world. Jim.

15. wonderbeecats

wonderbeecats Member

Jim, thanks so much for the valuable information, I will give the moss killer a shot... Have a great day. Barbara

16. Artemis12

Artemis12 Active Member

I would like to say something on about this: we put (road) salt down in front of the fence after digging up all the weeds (and having waited a week or so for survivors to come to life) and then topped it with round river stones.

No weeds.

17. wonderbeecats

wonderbeecats Member

Love it, thanks so much!