How to prounouce Therese Bugnet?

Discussion in 'Rosa (roses)' started by flowercents, Apr 3, 2006.

1. flowercents

flowercents Active Member 10 Years

I'd like to know how to pronounce this rose, since I bought it last week and planted it yesterday. Looks dead but I hope it will grow.

2. Laurie

Laurie Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I have always pronounced it as if it were French because it was released in 1950 by rose hybridizer Georges Bugnet of Alberta, Canada. It is a complex hybrid involving R. rugosa and the native R. blanda, so it needs lots of sun and will tolerate poorer soil. It is a great rose, medium pink, quite hardy, and fragrant.
    I have heard of the following book, but have not read it: Bellucci, Diana. How to Pronounce French Rose Names (Luminosa Publ. 2002). Apparently her transcription of this rose name is: tay-rehz bew-neeyeh.

3. lances

lances Member

Hello, Georges Bugnet was my Grandfather so I'd like to give you the "Anglosized" version of our last name: pronounce it like "Bewnay."
    Thanks for taking the time to ask, Shirley Bugnet Lance

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2010
  4. Old Rosarian

Old Rosarian Member

I'm looking for information about Georges Bugnet's children who had roses named after them. Would you reply here or directly to my email?

5. Laurie-Louise

Laurie-Louise Member

Hi,
    Georges Bugnet is my grandfather as well, my mother is Louise Bugnet ( married as Williams) The Louise Bugnet rose is one our favorite's. (of course). The 2 remaining daughters are Louise and Madeline, my mom was the "baby" of the family. There are many many grandchildren and great grand children of the Budget family. The Terese Bugnet Rose is probably the most well known rose, my Aunt Teresa passed away aprox 5 yrs ago. We have my mom's rose is most of our gardens, a very hardy rose.

Thanks for your interest, you should have seen his garden, it was spectacular. ( by the the way the best way way to understand the pronunciation is Like (Boo-Neigh)
    Laurie-Louise

6. David & Crenagh Elliott

David & Crenagh Elliott Member

My response is for lances, Shirley Bugnet Lance. I work with the team on HelpMeFind - Roses, we are presently discussing the parentage of some of your grandfather's roses. Is there any documentation available that will help get this right?
    Contact me off list if you wish (theelliotts at shaw dot ca)

7. lances

lances Member

Hi there,

Thanks for your interest but I can't be of any real help to you as my knowledge is limited to what my father, Charles, told me. You may have more luck contacting my relatives who live in Alberta (I've been in Ottawa, Ontario all my life). Perhaps Laurie-Louise (see her response below) may be able to provide you with the information or know who you can contact.

Best of luck,
    Shirley Bugnet Lance

8. johnnyjumpup

johnnyjumpup Active Member

I have had three Therese Bugnet roses in my garden for 30 yrs and have enjoyed their profusion of scented blossoms every year ever since I bought them in Creston.

Dead hardy and trouble free, they can be pruned to the ground practically and still come back with blooms. Mine have been 10 feet tall. Some years they get flattened by 4 to 6 feet of snow but always bounce back. Always the first to bloom too. Very reliable. I love this rose.

9. oldrosegrandma

oldrosegrandma Member

Laurie-Louise, I write a little column for my rose club newsletter. It's a pronunciation guide and the rose Therese Bugnet is a topic for argument. I would like to quote you from this forum; or, even better, ask you to write a little about the name pronunciation, and a little about Charles. I'm so glad it is not: bug - net!