queen palms?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Canadianplant, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Canadianplant

Canadianplant Active Member

ar there any queen palms growing around the pnw? there supposidly hardy to 8a or so.

2. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Only in containers for summer. Don't believe everything you read or find on the internet as gospel. It's marginal in zone 9a, and those in that region may find the Syargus romanzoffiana 'Silver Queen' a better choice. Temps need to rebound following freezing to have this palm a candidate in the garden. Repeated heavy frosts are trouble to the Queen palm.

Cheers, LPN.

3. Canadianplant

thanks fer the reply, but itsnt the phoenix canariensis a zone 9 a ? i didnt mean to sound liek i was using the info from the internet as " gospel". i gathered more info from a number of sites and a few of them suggeested that it was hardy to aroudn 8 a ( i am not disregarding what you said rust me ). I thought that this was weird becasue the same site said that -17 will kill this species.. thats zone 5 i believe so it doesnt really make any sence. here is one of the sites i found thats mentioned the 8 a hardiness
    http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/2052/index.html

thank you for clearing this up also

4. LPN

Yes it is, but your question pertains to info on Syargus romanzoffiana (Queen palm)!?

Cheers, LPN.

5. Canadianplant

sorry, i was using cidp as an ex
    ample of hardiness similar to the queen palm. so you were saying that they may have been refering to a different type of queen palm (silver queen i believe).

6. LPN

Syargus romanzoffiana 'Silver queen' is a strain of Syargus romanzoffiana that is slightly hardier. Reports have it just a few degrees fahrenheit hardier, so it is a better choice in marginal areas. NO ... it's not silver in color.

LPN.

7. Canadianplant

heh i know a few months ago i was investigating that palm. do you think thaty this can be grown in your area? there are palms like livistona chinensis that live there. they are hardy to around the same areas if im not mistakin

8. LPN

Not without extensive winter protection. The Livistona chinensis palms I've seen are in very sheltered and protected locations in the best micro-climates.

Cheers, LPN.

9. Canadianplant

so in other words its just a matter of luck on where you live. but now what about when these palms grow too tall to give protection and to shelter them from the rain?

10. LPN

They (Syagrus romanzoffiana) don't need protection from rain. No worries about them growing too tall here, Old man winter will see to that.
    "Luck on where you live"? the best luck is living in central coastal and southern California, here on the west coast anyway.

11. Canadianplant

sorry i actually was pertaining to any palm or banana in general. and as to the rain.. i meant it in the winter time when the temps get cold. so if say your cidp grew over your protected area will "old man winter"aas you put it take care of it? or will there be a chance that it will survive and climitize?

12. LPN

Not in 1,000 years of global warming will this palm acclimate to our climate. OK maybe 500 years.

Cheers. LPN.

13. Canadianplant

hahahahah dont worry man i wouldnt tourture a plant liek that.. i grow them in my house.. ive ordered at elast 14 different species of palms and i have at least 20 or more already grown in my house. im jsut interested in cultivation and such... a hobby or independent knowledge if you will.

14. Canadianplant

well here is the weirdest thing ive read yet. Apperantly a queen palm is growing in minnesota, around minniapolis. I didnt believe it at first but i seen pictures and am curently talking to them. THere is absolutly no protection whatsoever and i cannot see any type or reason why t can be surviving.

Attached Files:

15. smivies

smivies Active Member

What gave you the impression that it has survived? Looks pretty dead to me. What a waste of money.

Simon

16. LPN

"i cannot see any type or reason why t can be surviving."

Nor can I ... dead as a door nail.
    Cheers, LPN.

17. Canadianplant

its been around fer years apperantly

18. LPN

I get the distinct impression you believe it's possible to grow Queen palms in Minnesota. There isn't a fantasy land forum here for you to post on.

Cheers, LPN.

19. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

And presumably this winter was the first that it was too large to move indoors, so they planted it out, probably knowing it wouldn't make it.

20. Canadianplant

i know its hard to believe trust me i stil dont. They said its been outside for 3 years unprotected. Its apperantly infront of the minnesota landscape arboretum so i wrote them for more information. Ill definetly post all the info i get to this really big mystery.

21. Ottawa_Z5A

Ottawa_Z5A Member

hey everyone,......... Well I grow hardy palms in my zone5a. I grow, sabal minor, livistona chinesis, Rhapidophyllum hystrix, and a musa basjoo. Livistona is labled as a zone9a palm, but obviously plants can't read their tags..........and about that queen palm, does anyone know what zone it's in. Oh and if anyone would like to see pictures, www. webshots.com and type in Ottawa_hardy_tropicals

22. andypython

andypython Member

Very impressive Ottawa. I swear I use more mulch on my Bananas and cannas than you do and I am in Victoria! Maybe I missed it but how do you protect the Fan Palms?

23. LPN

That does it ... I'm moving to Ottawa when I retire. Vancouver Island is obviously not the palm growing region I thought it is. LOL!
    I'll check out your pics.

Cheers, LPN.