Battle for Protection of Giant Sequoias Continues

Discussion in 'Plants: In the News' started by Daniel Mosquin, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

US Giant Sequoia National Monument formed in 2000 not enough protection. LA Times.

More...

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

At this late date, anything done that results in the toppling of an ancient redwood that wasn't going to fall over anyway is a crime against humanity. Future generations will have to wait thousands of years for replacements.

3. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

If you could save a forest or better a watershed, then only that will save the forest.
    As we hort. lovers continue to bestow our favourite species on terra firma, perhaps the new religion will be a green one! And a sound one at that!

4. 4moreaction

4moreaction Member

I have allways wondered how come u.s. of a/ or rather people living in there never started planting hundres or thousands of acres new Sequoia forests...!!!?? It's real relic from ancient times...

Is there a reason why... if somebody, please, could shed some light on my ignorant mind... ;O))

5. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

There have been a few planted. Seen them?

It's either plant them where they are found, or start a new area.

It's also a matter of whether they will reproduce or not.

On Hy. 26 between Portland and Seaside, Oregon, just a few miles west of Timber Junction, giant sequioas can be seen to the side of Hy. 26. That was apparently part of the reforestation after the massive Tillamook Burn forest fire about 60 years ago.

So I've seen some.

As for many - maybe the forest experts are waiting to see if the naturalizing experiments are successful. And it takes quite few years just to reach seed producing age.

Next time throught there, I may have to pull over and see if anything is growing underneath.