Need help starting pansy seeds!

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by hibielover, Jan 14, 2007.

1. hibielover

hibielover Active Member

Could someone please tell me how to start pansy seeds? I have tryed putting them in the dark,and in the light. Buried 1/4 inch deep, Not buried. In other words, I'm stumped!! They rot on me , or just don't grow! Really appriciate any help, as I love Pansys, and have a pretty variaty of seed to start.

2. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Humm ... I always thought these where a snap to grow. Around here the seed capsules burst when ripe and self start all over the place.
    If they rot, too much water and not enough air circulation. Try using a fan (low setting) to move the air around. Temps around 60f - 65f (15c - 18c) are good.

Cheers, LPN.

3. hibielover

hibielover Active Member

Thanks LPN, but I still don't know how deep to plant, or if I should put them in the dark to germinate.[or light]

4. LPN

I'd try to mimick spring conditions, so light conditions should be about 9 - 10 hrs per day. Seed depth should be shalow. Anytime I've had small seed like that, I sow directly on top of the soil, and scatter a fine amount of sand on top. Mist every couple of days as needed under the conditions mentioned in my previous post.
    As a side note, fine ground cinnamon will help with damping off.

Cheers, LPN.

5. hibielover

hibielover Active Member

Thanks so much! Thats going to be very helpful! I'll put them under the plant lights and cross my fingers lol!!

6. hibielover

hibielover Active Member

Your advice really paid off, as i now have pansies up!! One more question tho, do i cover the roots with anything? They are all sitting on top of the mix,exsposed. Thanks so much , again!!

7. LPN

I suppose you could if a majority of the root system appears exposed. Roots will push down to anchor the plants. Becareful not to cover the stems with mix as this could promote rotting. Glad to hear you got your starts!

Cheers, LPN.

8. hibielover

hibielover Active Member

Yup, they are pushing in to the soil! I am seeing the green heads as well, so they should be fine. This is wonderful , love pansies and this is the first time in 15 years, I've been able to grow them! Again, thanks so much!!

9. mickey_dee2002

mickey_dee2002 Member

As LP mentioned they often start from the prior year seeds. I use the winter sowing method of putting them in milk jugs and just putting them outside. When I do this I just spread the seeds on top of the potting soil in a cut in half milk jug, mist and tape back up. Set it outside and come spring they germinate just fine. There is a winter sowing forum on the garden web which has a FAQ list which details all the steps etc. I suggest you check it out.

10. hibielover

hibielover Active Member

Thank you mickey dee2002! Now a question [oh no, there she goes again!! lol] Does this method work with seeds from hybrids? My plnts are,Bronse F2 hybrids. and I will check the winter seed forum

11. mickey_dee2002

mickey_dee2002 Member

Hibielover:
    Assuming you purchased seeds I think it should work. I believe with hybrid seeds the seeds from the original plant start to revert back and loose some of their original traits

12. hibielover

hibielover Active Member

Thanks again mickey dee2002! As long as the plants flowered, i would'nt mind if they threw back.