The two trees

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by Deaf_planter, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Deaf_planter

Deaf_planter Member

I have two questions about two different trees I have.

One of them is a Dogwood tree. Whenever we trim it, it always bleed with some sort of orangy stuff. What caused it?

The second question is that my father-in-law trimmed our red maple tree too short. Did he kill it? I have attached pictures of each tree for you all to see.

Attached Files:

2. bioramani

bioramani Member

Seems to be budding back quite well. Looks far from dead if the growth near the cut ends are new buds.

bioramani

3. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Kill it? maybe not today but, he did horribly disfigure it. Have a look at www.treesaregood.com and you can get some information about proper pruning techniques.

4. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

It does rank very high on the "worst pruning" list.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The maple is now going to take years to look like anything, if it continues to recover. Instead of being cut back brutally it needed to have weeds and grass cleared out from beneath it.

6. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

within the next 5 years, start to look for conk growth - the shelf like fungi - on the trunks of the hacked tree.

It's about 85% certain that it will be in miserable health and condition in the future.

Not sure what the orange stuff is on the dogwood. I've never encountered anything like that.

7. Deaf_planter

Deaf_planter Member

I was thinking the same thing, My husband usually just use a weedeater, but it was one of those days that he "forgot" do it. But you're right, I need to pull the weeds out.

8. Deaf_planter

Deaf_planter Member

Thanks everyone :)

9. hortfreak

hortfreak Active Member Maple Society

First---Do NOT use a weed whacker near a tree. This is a sure way to girdle the tree thus killing it.

Second---This is a lesson in putting the right tree in the right place. Why would anyone cut a tree back in this manner? If it is unsuitable (size or whatever) have the tree removed and replant with an appropriate tree, an appropriate distance from driveway and/or walkway. There are many, many wonderful smaller trees that are suitable for smaller lots. Also, if it is an issue of sun, a tree with a more open canopy would be better.

10. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

the maple looks pretty gruesome. See this happen when an acreage is subdivided into smaller lots and a new house gets priority over a nice tree. Too bad, won't be looking very nice in the winter.

11. Deaf_planter

Deaf_planter Member

I loved the tree, but yes you are right, my FIL thought it was too big and we couldn't access to the side of our house without bending down. I don't know anything about taking care of trees and plants but I am learning. I have already learned that wasp killer kills scrubs!!! It didn't give me a warning on the can and we had a huge hive inside the scrub. I didn't want my son to get stung everytime he go in and out. the scrub was next to our backyard door.

12. chimera

What is a "scrub"? We're all learning. Thank you

13. Deaf_planter

Deaf_planter Member

Bush

I think I misspelled it. Shrub.

14. chimera

Yes, must have been a beautiful tree and some age to it.The few leaves even look beautiful. I'd be tempted to gamble and take the large two right trunks down lower to the ground, hoping that it may send a strong new stem up from that side, in case the left side trunks don't recover. But i'm not an arborist, so don't go by me. Tough decisions there.

15. James D.

James D. Active Member

even though your tree has new shoots, they will never amount to much especially in winter, they are not well anchored within the core of the tree and are mearly "water sprouts" or suckers and with a heavy snow fall or ice or even wind will just be broken off over the years it is best just to remove the entire plant and start a new one.

16. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

It will be a sprouting stump for some years and may yet die from energy budget issues or invasive decay fungi. However, I would not expect many of the new branches to break off, unless the supporting original trunks rot out.

17. Deaf_planter

Deaf_planter Member

update, we had to remove the maple :( And the orange stuffs, I never could figure it what it was but the dogwood tree was losing it barks and all that... it had to go.

I redoing my yard now. This time I'm going to do it right.

18. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

Good idea for the maple.

Likely, it would have started to disintegrate in about years.