Looking for the right Magnolia

Discussion in 'Magnoliaceae' started by Theseus, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Theseus

Theseus Member

Hello!
    I have a small garden, and I’m looking for a deciduous Magnolia with fragrant flowers, strong growth, medium size, wind resistant. If anybody have an idea, about the species I’ll be happy to know. I live in Athens (Greece) so you must consider the climate factor.

2. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi Theseus,

Magnolia stellata - Star magnolia comes to mind. I don't know if you can find it in Greece.

Newt

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

All magnolias have fragrant flowers, although what they smell like and how much they smell does vary. How big is "medium"?

4. Theseus

Theseus Member

Hi Newt,
    Thank you for the reply! Your proposal is already a fact. The full story is that I had planted a small Magnolia stellata last June. In the begining the leaves had the sign of (iron?) chlorosis. After fertilising (in hot weather-my mistake) the leaves started to go brown on the edges, and by the end of Augoust the leaves were all gone. I thought to give the plant a chance and wait until next summer. Today has many flowers and is starting to put out new leaves.

5. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

6. Ron B

Maybe your soil is a little too alkaline or the summer climate too arid for Magnolia stellata. It grows wild in bogs in Japan, with Ilex crenata.

"On the whole their cultural requirements are not difficult to provide: they need a reasonable depth of good soil, and respond to rich living, good drainage and plenty of moisture....The most lime-tolerant are M. acuminata, M. delavayi, M. kobus, M. X loebneri and M. wilsonii."

--The Hillier Manual of Trees & Shrubs

7. Theseus

Theseus Member

Dear Ron,
    Thank you for your replies. The only species of Magnolia you can see in great numbers in Athens gardens is M. grandiflora. One reason for that is the good adaption of the tree in the dryness of our hot summer (and the strong spring winds we have for a couple of days per season). The other reason is that the tree nurseries in Greece haven’t the richness in exotic species that a plant enthousiast would like.

8. Theseus

Theseus Member

Hi Newt. I have not choose another magnolia due to lack of any room to my garden. I want to see the spring-summer growth of M. stellata first. I think that the factor of strong and healthy vigorous growth is crucial for choosing a tree, or shrub for your garden. Since last summer (the time I made my small garden), I had only one plant loss (an Ilex sp.) maybe from bad drainage, but the good surprise was the strong growth of Viburnum odoratissimum that I used for my mixed border. The plants are at least double in volume in less than a year (some have shoots 1.80 meters high!).

9. Ron B

The viburnum is another hot climate shrub, growing for much of the year and subject to frost injury outside of mild climates. Delavay's magnolia has great foliage, might love your conditions (local soil can't be terribly unsuitable if southern magnolia is common in the region, although soil varies form one spot to another, of couse). Not a dwarf but perhaps manageable for you anyway.