Sick Phal

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by hibielover, Nov 25, 2006.

1. hibielover

hibielover Active Member

Not too sure what medium to put this in? When i purchased this orchid in 2005, it was beautifully healthy, and in osmunda fibre. After she flowered, I put it in proper,purchased orchid bark. Since then, the whole plant has gone downhill. Help please, This orchid is my first one, and truely beautiful!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2006
  2. terrestrial_man

terrestrial_man Active Member 10 Years

Unpot this plant and look at the roots. My first hunch is that the roots are rotting.
    If the roots are rotting then you need to remove any of the rotted roots. Hopefully there will be some root structure left that is still viable. If so then repot and use nothing other than straight medium grade fir bark or even the landscape bark. Do not water.
    Mist the plant lightly and then bag it in a large air-tight or almost air-tight bag and keep it in a warm place under lights or near a window behind curtains. If the humidity is proper the plant may sprout out more new roots. If the humidity is improper the plant will rot. You may have to open the bag to check on the plant as well as get a feeling for how the humidity feels. Some people would use straight sphagnum moss-long fiber-NOT THE GREEN MOSS instead of the bark and slightly moisten it. This option can be as effective. The key is warmth, proper lighting, and proper humidity. Make it a learning experience!

3. hibielover

hibielover Active Member

Thanks so much, terrestrialman, I'll definatly give this a try!!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2006