Growing tea tree up north

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Cindi, Oct 29, 2006.

1. Cindi

Cindi Active Member

I keep bees and would desperately love to grow the tea tree, Leptospermum scoparium. The nectar gathered from the flowers for a couple of weeks in summer, from my understanding is termed, Manuka honey, once the bees have processed it. Hope I am correct with this understanding. The tea tree is indigenous to Australia and New Zealand. Now the climate in New Zealand is fairly similar to ours in the Lower Mainland of British Columbia, I think, and I wonder if this tree could be cultivated to grow here as well. I know that banana plants do fantastic on my property, but I do put sleeves on them throughout the winter. I have seen a fellow living not too far from us does not put sleeves on his bananas, they seem to die right down to the ground come wintertime, but again revive and look pretty good by the mid-summer. Anyone got any info on growing the Tea Tree anywhere but down under and there? Cindi

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

It grows well in western Britain (even naturalised in a few gardens), but noted as liable to be killed in bad winters at Kew. That suggests it is limited to zone 9 conditions - my guess is that in BC it would grow well on the ocean side of Vancouver Island, but not reliably without protection on the mainland. If you can protect it from severe cold, you should be able to grow it.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Currently being grown in Seattle. Not hardy here, however. Existing specimens will freeze out at some point, unless climate change intervenes. See description in Sunset Western Garden Book.

4. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

There were always some huge ones in the Lohbrunner garden at UBC, can't remember if they are still there coz they were always growing out onto the pathway and might have needed removing because of their vigour.

Based on that, I started a clump of L. nitidum from seed a few years back, and it's done fine tho in a protected spot in my yard. I'm hoping this Tasmanian species will be a bit hardier than some, who knows.

For sure tho, the UBC garden is significantly milder than mine, or Maple Ridge...I can only dream of a microclimate like UBC enjoys!

5. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Banana Joe om Saltspring Island tells me there are some Tea Trees growing there. He gave me a seedling once and I missed it one too many times while watering. Drought stricken, it died.

Cheers, LPN.

6. Cindi

Cindi Active Member

So, how can I contact Banana Joe on Saltspring? Any idea, would Dan Jason know perhaps? Saltspring is pretty mild compared to Maple Ridge, so I am not sure if it would naturalize here or not, but I sure would be willing to give it a try. Thanks for the reply.

7. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Cindi I PM'd you regarding Banana Joe.
    Cheers, LPN.

8. Cindi

Cindi Active Member

Gotcha, thanks I will contact him and find out some stuff. Cindi