What's killing my cedars?

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by Paulina, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Paulina

Paulina Active Member

Upper Fraser Valley, Beautiful British Columbia!
    It looks as if someone took a spray bottle of something toxic and randomly sprayed parts of our cedar trees. We do have an unfriendly neighbour behind us with barking dogs... she doesn't like me telling her dogs to quiet down when they're barking in my face... anyways, our trees (on her side only) have patches of browning areas. I asked her hubby (who's friendly) if he had possibly sprayed or fertilized and maybe the wind blew some onto my trees... but he said no he doesn't spray because of his dogs. It's only on the one sunny side of the trees, and only on parts of them, the trees are VERY healthy and have grown huge this summer, they're big and fat and dark green and at least 4' tall now, so definitely healthy. They were under 1' when they were planted 3 years ago. There's no sign of bugs or rotting anywhere. Any clues? My only guess is that the sun hits the heavy morning dew and is burning them a bit?

2. tipularia

tipularia Well-Known Member 10 Years

Look up Cedar Apple Rust and see if it looks like that.

3. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

Were there any hot days that seemed to "come out of nowhere" this last summer, or late spring?

Tree foliage can burn sometimes if the temperatures escalate too quickly.

But I'd expect the damage on each tree of the same species.

Unless... the one of the trees has more moisture available to the roots, or falls into partial shade during the day.

4. Dixie

Dixie Active Member

are the dogs using the cedar as a fire hydrant?

5. Paulina

Paulina Active Member

No dogs, unless they can pee up 3.5'... Never know with Jack Russells!

All the trees get the same amount of sun & water. We've had some very cold nights turn into very hot days lately, but yes, the other trees are fine. The soaker hose was on yesterday for a few hours, so that gave them a good soak, hopefully it'll dilute whatever it might be.

It's not Cedar Apple Rust either, doesn't look at all like that. Will keep you posted.

Thanx.

6. Paulina

Paulina Active Member

I did forget to mention... We've been throwing our grass clippings underneath the trees all summer to compost. The grass doesn't touch the trees, it's just in between them, could it be too much grass? We were told grass compost is very healthy for the trees.

7. GreenGoose

GreenGoose Active Member

If so, why does it only affect "her side" ?

I believe that "her side" is the key and that the damage being on foliage of one side means an action on that side.
    Perhaps your neighbour used a liquid lawn fertilizer and some hit the trees..or weed and feed...or high nitrate fertilizer?
    Does your neighbour's sprinkler hit the tress and yours does not?

8. jimweed

jimweed Active Member 10 Years

Post a pic, be interested to see the damage

9. ngawangchodron

ngawangchodron Member

Another thing to check is if the neighbour has used lime on their side of the trees, most people think it is beneficial and innocuous, which it is to lawns and most perennials, however coniferous trees, ferns and rhodos sure don't like it

10. Paulina

Paulina Active Member

Finally had a chance to take some photos on a sunny day. Any help would be appreciated as to what to do. Do they need a good soak with the soaker hose underneath them?

Attached Files:

11. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Thuja occidentalis 'Smaragd'. Hedges of these with parts or whole plants failing are common. Could be a root rot, caused by a water mold (Phytophthora, Pithium), or direct injury to the foliage caused by a mite infestation, or a fungal blight. Impossible to pin down from a distance, unless a closeup is shown where it happens that something visible like mite damage can be made out.

12. Paulina

Paulina Active Member

Could this be caused from overwatering? The only other thing that's different than the previous 4 years is the fact that we've been throwing our grass clippings under the trees to compost. Could this be causing it? We planted the trees when we moved in, they were just skinny little 1' babies. It hurts to see them like this.

13. jimweed

jimweed Active Member 10 Years

Mites on Cedars create a greyish discolouring around a broad area that is quite visual before any dieback. Not such pinpoint dying like in the pics. The first thing to notice would be if the dieback is just on random tips or are entire branches dying off to the stock. There are tip blights to watch for, bacterial blight, and root problems. Could be quite possible that grass clippings are the culprit, if you just started putting them there prior to the damage shown.