weed burner

Discussion in 'Photography and Art' started by John S, Sep 22, 2006.

1. I made this weed burner for my garden. I'm new to this forum.thanks

Attached Files:

2. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

That is one serious weed burner - but seems to me it will be burning a lot more than weeds like everything in it's path ? And if only weeds grew at such regular set intervals.

3. toutlan

toutlan Active Member

just curious,what exactly do ya use it for,cant think of any application it would be suited,other than burning a swath along a fence.i quite impressive cotraption though

4. Yes it burens everything in it's path, it has 1 1/2 million btu's . I use it for burning weeds when I don't have anything ( veg.) in my garden. It gets rid of all grsss and any bugs. If you burn befor planting it pops weed seeds and it takes about 2 mo. befor the weeds comes up, so that will let the veg. grow.

5. This a photo of a large weed burner in the UK I found.

Attached Files:

6. EnglishGardener

EnglishGardener Member

That looks an impressive piece of kit. You must have a very large garden.

7. GreenGoose

GreenGoose Active Member

Looks great. You should be able to hire out with that. How much would that system cost compared to rototilling?

8. jimweed

jimweed Active Member 10 Years

I have seen a company from Abbotsford using a burner very similar to yours to kill weeds in gravel parking lots.

9. I have about 1/2 in a garden. The cost to buld a 6' one about $600, I had some metal at my home and did all the work and it cost me $400. It has a 40gal propane tank ( to fill is $38.00) it will do the garden 2 times and it will pay for itsafe in about 4 yrs. . I don't pick weed anymore and don't buy weed killer, alot of the bugs are gone, too. I burn befor the spring garden and 2 times in the summer.

10. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

We use a similar weed burner for the gravel paths at UBC BG.

11. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

Well done and very impressive.

When a youngster in Saskatchewan, we never cut grass, but set it on fire once or twice a year at an appropiate time, when very dry with no wind. The grass would burn off, and the new growth was absolutely perfect. We did it because of necessity, but alas no more fires in our civilization.

I see many European Crane Flies laying eggs on my grass this year. Even the non-gardening neighbors are talking about the large numbers. If we have a wet spring in 2007 the leather-jackets will be a problem. A weed burner would do wonders for eliminating this threat.

Durgan.

12. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

I'm in the process of building a weed "cooker" using radiant burners in an attempt to control side burning or blow-out to the point where I can use it between rows without damaging the crops. The weeds (and unfortunately the crop) require only a very short exposure to the high temp to kill the exposed vegitation. I'm hoping the short exposure will leave the soil fauna undamaged.

Ralph

13. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

14. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

http://www.flameengineering.com/VT2-23C.html

After reading these posts I bought this one from the US. I carry the propane tank and it works just fine.

My hollyhocks have a fungus and I burned the tops off, and flamed the ground around the plants. Next year will indicate if my practice is fruitful or not.

These devices don't usually kill the plant, but delay the growth, but they are probably excellent for killing insects, mold and mildew under the right circumstances.

Anyway my intent is to use it in what would be considered ideal situations as a supplement to spraying.
    Durgan.

15. Cindi

Cindi Active Member

What a funny thing that enormous weed burner. I should have one like that for my five acres, I have many weeds that I will be contending with next year out the back. Just for the fun of it my husband and I bought a steam cleaner (Black & Decker rug cleaner) and thought we would try killing some specific weeds with steam. Well, it did work pretty good on a few plaintain on the lawn, but when we tried to do a larger area, it was simply too stupid for words. Don't bother trying to steam clean out weeds, maybe a really big one would work, but the little tiny carpet cleaner is a waste of time. It was fun trying to do it anyways, just for the fun of it.!!