Pachira (money tree ) question

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Late, Sep 18, 2005.

1. amael

amael Member

I'm kinda at my wits end. My friend left me her Pachira before going off to Afganistan. It's a small 5-stem tree, braided together. One of the stems is dead and another is showing signs of dying. The 3 other stems are all doing well with new growth. It needs a new pot which I will do over the weekend, but I'm concerned with the ones rotting in the pot. Will they affect the other stems badly? Should I try and unweave them when I repot it? Thank you so much!

2. jesi

jesi Member

I unbraided and removed the rotting stems and repotted the plant. It is doing great and has several new bunches of leaves growing in.

3. Whille

Whille Member

I have just bought a Pachira for my living room. After a few days I looked at the leaves and some of them seem to have been dried out on the tips. What could be the problem here? I have just given it water once and is now letting it dry. Could it be that the air is too dry? Or could it be that the plant doesn´t get enough light?

4. Rima

Rima Active Member

Well, if the problem is lack of humidity, put a wide tray of stones and water under the pot, just make sure the water isn't high enough to touch the pot, so roots will not be sitting in water. But the amount of sun it gets (they don't need much) and the type of soil you used and the frequency of watering could all be factors.

5. Plant Newbie

Plant Newbie Active Member

Hi everyone,

I recently bought a 5 ft money tree. When I got it home from the store, I realized that 2 green branches were broken :( I am pretty sure it happened on the car ride home! Is it ok to cut those branches off? Will new growth appear on those branches??? What should I do?

6. Plant Newbie

Plant Newbie Active Member

Hi everyone,

I have a 5 ft money tree. It's been growing really well lately and I've been very happy with it. Lately, I've noticed a clear thin gel underneath some of of the stems. What is that? Am I overwatering?

Thanks!!

7. Flaxe

Flaxe Active Member

It is likely the plant is either long dead or thriving somewhere by now. Either way for the sake of others browsing this site for help, I'll try to respond to the inquiries in this thread.

Because of the ants and whatever pests that have ridden your plant, you should discard all the contaminated soil as sometimes there are insect eggs and other goodies that you do not want near your plant or its roots. Don't be cheap, get new potting soil, pot it back up again. You may use the same pot if you wish, after giving it a thorough rinse with water. Don't over do it with soap. Residual soap left in pots is harmful.

Growers usually have quarantine areas for the seasons when they're moving plants in and out of the house. I myself have had issues with spider mites and other unwanted pests from the in and out cycle. If you don't want to deal with this, then leave your plants in one place and don't get too fancy. Preferably keeping house plants in the house at all times.

I would repot the plant with new soil in a clean container or pot, water it just enough that the soil is damp, and then let it be for the next couple of weeks. When you are repotting check the roots for any black roots, ant infestations and hose it all down depending on how big the plant. If not a hose, then put it under a tap and wash out all the ants and eggs.

8. Flaxe

Flaxe Active Member

I would take the bugger out of that stingy puny pot and repot it into something a little more decent even by bonsai standards! If you can't afford new potting soil, don't buy or own a plant!

Water it lovingly and use your instincts. Don't drown it. Your plant would do well in a 6 inch or larger pot. These plants are massive in the wild. They grow well and strong if given the right light and water. They're not fussy. But for goodness sake, do not own a plant if you cannot afford the bare basics such as soil or a good pot.

9. Flaxe

Flaxe Active Member

Pay attention to the soil. Is the soil taking longer than usual to dry out inbetween waterings?

Many of these plants when bought at the store, braided or done up like a poodle, have cruel brown strings holding the braided trunks together. Use your good eye to take a long hard peer all along the trunks to see if there are any brown strings cutting into the stems of your plant. These could be cutting into the bark, thereby stifling the uptake of water from the roots. I have had brown spotted leaves where unflawed leaves once were because of this silly problem myself. Yes, I did kick myself and swear at the nursery from which it came.

If it is heavily shaded AND your pot either doesn't have a hole/holes for drainage, or it is a glazed pot as opposed to an unglazed one (the latter providing more air circulation), you may be running into a case of rot at the stems where the soil level is. Have you taken out your tree, roots and all, from the pot entirely to give it its yearly inspections? This is a tree that grows very fast. I would recommend yearly or annual inspections at least once or twice. Once in the start of the summer and then any time you suspect a problem... like now.

10. Flaxe

Flaxe Active Member

Stop misting it. Misting isn't a miracle spray even though I have to admit even my 4 year old nephew thinks it's fun.

You did very well by putting it in the kitchen. Many tropicals enjoy a window in the kitchen because of the kitchen's natural humidity from water and heat.

The money plant should never have been located in your husband's office. Despite the happy stories about plants in offices, I personally think it's bullocks. You wouldn't live in a cubicle 24.7, would you? Do NOT put plants in an office without natural sunlight or windows.

It's okay that you did your homework and reading, and have noticed what you've done wrong or right. There's always a learning curve. For new money plant owners, know that once a plant begins a downhill slide it's very important to first diagnose what is wrong. If all your research turns up nothing, turn to the experts at a garden center or nursery. They are often busy people but big franchises will even have a designated area where customers and concerned plant owners or growers can bring in their specimens of disease, illness or pests, or even the entire plant itself if it is not too big. They will help you identify what might be wrong.

Secondly, it's easy to overdo the "love" after we see something becoming less and less healthy. Don't overdo it. Overwatering is a number one killer for new plant owners and plant death. Please do not fertilize if your plant is recovering from a disease. The reason for this is that your plant is struggling to recooperate from the illness or pest infestation, while you are feeding it growth hormones, forcing it to put out more leaves. The plant needs the energy to heal first before growing bigger (through fertilizer). Fertilizer is also NOT a miracle ingredient. Without proper use, it burns the roots and can manifest in blackened tips of leaves or unwanted symptoms. Fertilizer should ONLY be applied to HEALTHY, thriving plants.

11. Flaxe

Flaxe Active Member

If you can tell they are brittle and rotten, take them out. To do this, repot, and leave the rotted areas above the soil level. Be careful not to wet the rotted areas and let it dry out. When it is dry have a more careful look at it. If it is possible, cut it out/remove them from the rest of the healthy plant.

For the problem indicated above, you'd have to provide a picture or drawing as your description is quite vague. The braided portion usually is the live trunks of the trees.

12. Flaxe

Flaxe Active Member

Don't mind the dead stem. Over time it will dry up and become as brittle as hay. When that happens you may easily pluck it out with your hands. It is much easier than hacking away at a hard, freshly dead stem.

If you are thinking of repotting, it is a good idea to gently ruffle up the roots and take a good look at what's going on beneath the soil level. Get ready to be a bit dirty, select a nice shady area of grass patch. If you see any limp, blackish or dark, dark brown sections of root, cut it off with a pair of sharp scissors. Do not over do it. Healthy roots are always pale brown to white. White is the colour of newer roots.

Depending on the age of the plant, it may be possible to unweave them. Remember also that with age, comes the hardening and thickening of the stems. If it is a young plant, it may be possible to unweave and reweave. If it is older, you may risk tearing the whole thing apart.

A tip: branches are more pliable after a day or two of NOT watering.

13. Flaxe

Flaxe Active Member

If you mean the tips are browned or look burned, it could be a case of new soil or fertilizer burning.

Pachiras are tropical plants. They love humidity, they love light. Some will tell you they don't like direct sunlight but mine have thrived in direct sunlight streaming in from the windows for a long time. Please don't abuse them by putting them in an extra shady spot.

If you're unsure with watering and soil moisture, don't be afraid to dig a finger an inch into the pot and get a bit dirty to test how wet the soil is. If it's dry an inch or a half of an inch down, it's time for watering. Don't be stingy on the water. When watering, thoroughly soak a plant and wait for it to drain, then dump out the stagnant drain water from the plate at the bottom of the pot. These are gentle giants and forgiving plants but please take care of them.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
  14. Flaxe

Flaxe Active Member

Yes, it's fine to cut them off. Your plant will be lovely. You may also want to keep those two cut portions and root them. Do do so, trim off the broken ends slightly enough to get a fresh cut, dip in rooting hormone powder, and pot in fresh container of damp or moist (not too moist) potting soil. Don't make it too wet or the cutting will rot. Remember there are no roots yet to take up any water. If the container gets dry from the air, moisten a bit more. In time you'll know when the little plantling has grown roots - water will dry up much faster!

Anyway, yes, the original or mother plant will continue to put out new leaves too.

15. Flaxe

Flaxe Active Member

It's probably the case that you are overwatering, and inadvertently contributing to the appearance of clear gel.

It sounds like the clear gel is the plant's natural sap or stem moisture bleeding due to unwanted pests and parasites that eat the stems or leaves, leaving a sometimes sticky substance behind. Aphids for example will do this. Have you noticed any pests? Has the plant halted in growth?

If you do notice insects, the best suggestion would be to observe them thoroughly and do your research online or bring in some specimens to a nursery.

They may tell you:
    To cure, stop watering for one or half a week (the shorter the time the better, the faster it is out of the pot the better), remove the tree from its current soil. I never like to leave it in the same soil especially if it's the same soil it's been in for two or more years. Wash out the old pot, give it new potting soil from any garden center, hose down the entire plant with water, and make it comfy again in new soil. After that as a greater precaution, sticky tape for flying insects can be bought at most garden center also. Place it like a scarecrow thing about 2 inches tall only in your pot, and any pests will stick to it.

When you are repotting notice any black on the stems, stems that are halfway eaten out or rotting. Pests are drawn to these kinds of signs on an ailing tree, and further feed off of its compromised health.

16. juliebees

juliebees Member

Hi to all with money tree problems...I am a person who can almost grow anything my dad says i can grow a rock but this tree really stumped me then i did a search on it and i first of all after buying it took the glued rocks off the top and they were actually stuck and glued on the tree then looked at the roots heck they wasnt any much 1/4 of a inch and of course no drain hole so without putting it through to much i hammered off the rock and let it rest in its new home, it was very wet so i left it alone and noticed the leaves both green and brown dropping so i moved it to my french doors when it only gets morning light....it is still in the no hole pot it came in but i am using bark to help dry it out then i am going to another pot. it has to be ignored and treated like a jade plant i have been told by so many people. so far so good. hope this helps anyone that may experanced some of my problems i had with it. it has stopped its leaf dropping and its doing a lot better i am just waiting now to repot it.