What plant is this?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by ebargren, Sep 10, 2006.

1. ebargren

ebargren Member

Visited Vancouver May of this year. Very nice area - hit Butchart gardens and Lynn Canyon area. Definite area of beauty.

Anyway, help with this would be great. This plant started growing outside my compost bin. My first thought was a squash plant due to the flower, but it isn't a vine. I did some searching through pics online, but couldn't find anything like this.

The first flower had fallen off, not sure if they will produce something. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Datura. VERY poisonous!

3. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

4. ebargren

ebargren Member

Thanks very much!

5. kelley112

kelley112 Member

Its an old hippie tale that eating the seeds causes a "tripping" effect. But yes they are very poisonous and are more commonly known as moonflowers

6. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

The seeds and other parts of Datura spp. (and Brugmansia spp.) contain atropine, scopolamine, and hyoscyamine. Very dangerous chemicals, which are unpredictable and can be fatal in very small doses. Like other poisonous plants in the ornamental garden use caution if children or pets visit your garden.

Moon flower also often refers to Ipomoea alba, which also has toxic seeds.

7. ebargren

ebargren Member

I really appreciate all the responses. I know where to go the next time I have a picture or a question.

When I heard the name Datura, the band Bardo Pond came to mind. They are a psychedelic band from Philadelphia that have used the names of mushrooms, plants, toads and other items for song titles. They are very good at what they do.

Not that I plan on ingesting it, but I thought the plant was rather cool, especially the flowers. Does this plant produce any seeds? If so, when do they occur because we are reaching autumn here in Michigan. I would like to plant this around the backyard.

Thanks again.

Erik

8. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

9. kelley112

kelley112 Member

It depends where in Michigan. There is a gardener in Port Huron, by St. Clair County Community College, who grows them, elephant ears and castor plants he collects the seeds from them every year and starts them again the next year inside, then plants them outside when the frost stops coming. I now live in the UP and I highly doubt that they could live long enough up here since we received our first frost about 2 nights ago.

10. rhiannonnightsinger

rhiannonnightsinger Member

Yes, datura. Very poisonous. Considered a noxious weed in some parts of canada. Grown as an ornamental in city plantings in others. Personally, I won't have it in my garden. Too dangerous for little ones and pets.

11. *N*E*R*D*

*N*E*R*D* Member

I live in michigan, and yes the datura does seed. Many consider it a biennial, because it reseeds "by itself". But i consider it as an annual. What i did with mine, is i saved the seed pods, and stored them in a dark, cool place to inhibit respiration. And the next year (this year) i have many beautiful plants. Planting them in groups seems to have a very overwhelming beauty, not to mention a soft, almost intoxicating scent.

12. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

Yes its not an old hippie tale it is true. An old acquantance of mine took it a couple of times and it he "tripped" alright...he also got temporary blindness...the end result is he walked out in front of a fast moving car and got run over in Sydney Aus. He lived but did not learn, he took it again in Surfers Paradise QLD and fell 3 storeys and still survived!! I have it growing in my garden (different leaf shape to yours) and the flowers are quite fragrant at night. I love it when it is in full bloom!! Enjoy

Ed