Pampas Grass

Discussion in 'Poaceae' started by Anita, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Anita

Anita Member

H E L P ! ! Two years ago I planted a 2 foot tall plant near my ornamental Eyecatcher in my garden , hoping for the flowers of my Pampas to round it of nicely . The plant is now 6 foot tall with plenty greenery BUT NOT A SINGLE PLUME . What am I doing wrong ???

2. Takana_Hana

Takana_Hana Active Member 10 Years

last year, i had the same problem, mine was huge, and still wasnt plumming, it will just have to take time, some plume before others and its hard telling when , but i guarantee that it will next year!!

3. Monk

Monk Member

I found that with mine, if they got too much fertilizer (especially Nitrogen) they wouldn't bloom. They got very large and full but no plumes at all. One year I tried fertilizing with a good organic compost in early winter and then late spring. No more often. Since then they bloomed regularly every autumn.

Richard

4. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

Pampas Grass (Cortaderia spp. ) does test the patience of the average gardener. It also has a habit of ambushing the unsuspecting poor soul by eventually growing to be many times the size that he or she thought it would get to!

I takes a minimum of three years when grown from seeds, usually more in our zone 7-8 before they produce their magestic, feathery plumes. However, they may take as long as 4-5 years before blooming. So, have patience. You will be well rewarded. Once it has started blooming, it should bloom every year.

They do need full sun and may not bloom well if there is too much shade. I am not quite sure about increased blooms by not fertilising as much. My impression is that it does not seem to matter that much.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2006
  5. Anita

Anita Member

THANKS TO ALL OF YOU !!! A great weight is lifted from me , knowing that people like YOU are there with help . CHEERS AGAIN !!

6. Anita

Anita Member