Identification: Help

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Bryan Reid, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Bryan Reid

Bryan Reid Member

A Montesorri School teacher has been asked if the plants in her school room are poisoness to children... Can someone tell me the names of these plants and whether they are harmful to children?
    Your help is very much appreciated.
    Bryan Reid

Attached Files:

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

They appear to be:
    1. Dracaena marginata, Madagascar Dragon Tree.
    2. Epipremnum aureum (syn. Scindapsus aureus), Pothos.
    3. Schefflera arboricola, Umbrella Tree.

3. Bryan Reid

Bryan Reid Member

Thank you Junglekeeper your help is much appreciated. Do you know if they can be harmful to children?

4. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Sorry, can't help you with this one. I'm sure there's information out there as these are common plants.

5. Rima

Rima Active Member

All plants have some degree of toxicity to people and other animals in their leaves, and/or bark, and/or roots, but the in the vast majority of house plants it's pretty insignificant under normal circumstances (after all, how many children do you see actually ever sitting down and ingesting most of a house plant?), and unless a plant is known to be highly toxic (like Datura, foxglove, etc.) if eaten, i really wouldn't be concerned, as I bet half the kids at least probably have lots of plants at home (as we all do and did growing up) that are no worse or better than those in your pix.

6. wild-rose-43

wild-rose-43 Active Member

The plants you have there are not known for toxicity, however, as Rima says; all plants could be harmful if significant amounts are ingested. Since it is highly unusual for a child to sit down and begin munching away, I wouldn't be overly concerned about any potential problems.