Bowling Pin Shaped Pink Tomato

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by MariaJacobs@Earthlink.net, Jul 31, 2006.

1. MariaJacobs@Earthlink.net

MariaJacobs@Earthlink.net Member

An old time local farmer gave me a tomato plant this year that was started from seeds that were passed down for generations in his famiily. He said he thought the variety was called "watermelon" and that it is a pink tomato but he hadn't seen them since he was a child. Now I have several large bowling pin shaped tomatoes growing. None have ripened yet so I am not sure just how big they get of the exact color. It is about 6 inches long right now. Does anyone know if this is a "watermelon" tomato variety? It does not resemble the "beefsteak watermelon" variety many heirloom catalogs offer.

Thanks!

2. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

Some pictures please!
    Durgan.

3. MariaJacobs@Earthlink.net

This plant seems to have spread or vined out like a watermelon plant. Also, there have been many blossoms but only a few set fruit. It went in the ground pretty late in the season (we were already eating tomatoes from our other plants) so I don't have any fully ripened tomatoes yet.

Attached Files:

4. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

Wow! Keep posting as the fruit matures. It looks like a winner to me. Please save trhe seeds from the best vine ripened fruit. I do it with my prime tomatoes. It is hard to resist that beautiful tomatoe ripening on the vine, but only one is necessary for saving for the seeds. Here is the method depicting how to save tomato seeds.
    http://www.victoryseeds.com/information/seedsave_tomato.html

Durgan.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2006
  5. MariaJacobs@Earthlink.net

Finally, I have a ripe tomato. This is an outstanding tasting tomato. Sweet, firm, not acid tasting at all. Thin skin and few seeds. Here are some pictures. It does not resemble a watermelon beefsteak variety. I was told it was just a plain watermelon variety that they hadn't planted in 40 years. I would love to know what it really is.

Attached Files:

6. Joey

Joey Member

You really have to do all of that to plant the seeds!I just place a few seeds on a napkin for next year and let them dry out than I plant tehm in early spring...they grow

7. BelgiumChoco

BelgiumChoco Member

Your tomatoe looks great! I wish I could say the same for mine. Next year they will be spaced a bit more apart. Right now they look like xmas bulbs! LoL*